Torpedo Live: want to get rid of the internal sound

riffwraith

Hi :)

I would really like to get rid of the sound coming from inside the box. Before I go and open it - is there a speaker inside that I can just disconnect? Or.... ?

Thanks in advance.

Ah, this is a problem for me. It is not technically possible right now to move the Torp elsewhere, and this noise is interfering with my playing while I record at low volumes. Is there really nothing that can be done?

Try headphones...

riffwraith":2j7i514l said:
Ah, this is a problem for me. It is not technically possible right now to move the Torp elsewhere, and this noise is interfering with my playing while I record at low volumes. Is there really nothing that can be done?

I'm afraid the noise is inherent to the reactive loadbox technology. You should also hear your amp output transformer if you push it hard, and again, that's how it is.

On the Torpedo Studio, the resistive mode for the loadbox adresses that issue, but changes the tone too.

I have the same noise coming from my amp, which has a built in load feature, and can confirm this isn't specific to the Torpedo Live. Fortunately, I can have my monitors turned up just enough to hide the noise, or I use headphones.

Part of the fun and frustration of music making are the imperfections. Indeed, I know the sound you are talking about. It frustrated me at first because I could hear this sound, but I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. So odd. Then I realized it came from the Live. Guillome had mentioned it was a normal part of the operation of the Torpedo Live. All good. Now that I know its normal, I can deal with it.

If headphones aren't practical, then all you have are some sort of monitors. If the monitors are turned down so low that you hear the Torpedo Live and that's bothering you then here are some choices

1. Make the headphones practical any way you can.

2. Turn up the studio monitors

3. Buy another small amp which you can monitor at a low volume. A practice amp if you will.

4. Buy some other loadbox and see what happens

I've met Guillome and he is great guy and passionate about what he is doing. The torpedo Live is not some device which has faulty behavior. Its a great box actually. So now that you know this sound is normal, you have to decide what to do about it.

djd100":3txgs57i said:
Why are headphones impractical?, Are your ears not in the normal human location? :LOL: :LOL:

Nope! :scared:

1. The headphone cable is annoying, be it in the front or the back. The cable is from the left can, and I am a right-handed player, which means that the cable is constantly getting in the way of my fretting arm.
2. In order to get past the Torp's noise (which is pretty friggn' loud), I'd have to have the cans volume up quite a bit. Which is ok for short bursts of recording, but if I want to do a few hours of recording, that is problematic, as it's too much an assault on my ears, even with frequent breaks.
3. Latency. I don't monitor the input sound from the computer monitors b/c of it (the pb sound I do), so I use a little amp that has been multed from the op of the Torp. Using cans at a decent volume wipes out this possibility, and makes recording into large projects (where I have to set my buffer high) virtually impossible.
4. Familiarity. Even if I could get the latency down by setting my buffer to 32 (still would not be able to record into large projects, tho), there is no familiarity to recording with cans, as I am so used to doing it through monitors in the room. I would be outside my comfort zone; this would be fine if I were laying down nothing but scratch tracks, but for a "final", I want to be IN my comfort zone.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers.

Sorry, had to ask! :D

1. Deal with it as pros have since over-dubbing was invented.

2. Use sealed-back headphones, which are regularly used in recording studios to reduce leakage (both ways). Monitor at 85db or lower for long term hearing health.

3. I use Pro Tools TDM so I don't have latency issues, but if I didn't I'd always...

a) Monitor input on the LIVE's DAW channel as the guitar source, along with repro for the recorded tracks.

b) If your interface can't do hardware bypass monitoring then use a little aux mixer to mix the LIVE's output along with the interface's 2-Mix.

c) I always cut a guitar DI track along with my rig's output so I can re-amp if need be (I don't monitor the DI track). I record my CAB's cab sims as well as it's tube power amp sims, knowing that if need be I can re-amp everything from my DI guitar track at a later date if for any reason I need to change amps/sounds etc.

d) Use your amp's FX Send into the LIVE's Line Input, put a dummy plug into your amp's FX Return if need be to mute the guitar cab which is plugged into the amp for load, and use the LIVE's tube power amp sims via it's Line Out to your DAW. I do this with my CAB and various tube preamps, works great, and it is silent etc.

4. Deal with it and learn a new trick. I've been a pro engineer since the 1980's and I'm still learning new tricks all the time.

I don't have a LIVE, but I'd guess that if you rack mount it in something it'll be acoustically a lot quieter in the room, and that the less power you feed it the quieter it will be. What amp are you using with it, and does it need to be dimed?

Good luck...

riffwraith":1qajox0g said:
djd100":1qajox0g said:
Why are headphones impractical?, Are your ears not in the normal human location? :LOL: :LOL:

Nope! :scared:

1. The headphone cable is annoying, be it in the front or the back. The cable is from the left can, and I am a right-handed player, which means that the cable is constantly getting in the way of my fretting arm.
2. In order to get past the Torp's noise (which is pretty friggn' loud), I'd have to have the cans volume up quite a bit. Which is ok for short bursts of recording, but if I want to do a few hours of recording, that is problematic, as it's too much an assault on my ears, even with frequent breaks.
3. Latency. I don't monitor the input sound from the computer monitors b/c of it (the pb sound I do), so I use a little amp that has been multed from the op of the Torp. Using cans at a decent volume wipes out this possibility, and makes recording into large projects (where I have to set my buffer high) virtually impossible.
4. Familiarity. Even if I could get the latency down by setting my buffer to 32 (still would not be able to record into large projects, tho), there is no familiarity to recording with cans, as I am so used to doing it through monitors in the room. I would be outside my comfort zone; this would be fine if I were laying down nothing but scratch tracks, but for a "final", I want to be IN my comfort zone.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers.

1. Most "pros" don't use cans when recording guitars in "pro studios". Some do, of course.

2. I have SBHP. The sound still comes through.

3. I don't use PTools. Most of the work I do is MIDI, and use Cubase.

3a. LIVE's DAW channel? Never heard of that in 12 years of doing DAW work.

3b. Already do that, but thorugh an amp. Same thing. Still does not get rid of the noise from the Torp.

3c. I never cut a guitar DI track along with my rig's output. I don't reamp, so there is no need. Even if I did want to do that, that still does not get rid of the noise from the Torp.

3d. Amp's FX Send? Doesn't exist.

4. Deal with it and learn a new trick? Was that meant to be serious? B/c I didn't take it that way.

Cheers.

1. So, pro guitarists don't use headphones in pro studios, amazing what one learns on the internet! :LOL: :LOL:

2. OK.

3. Pro Tools, Cubase, whatever?

3a. So, you've never heard of a DAW channel monitoring input with the LIVE as it's source?

3b etc etc. You've already convinced yourself that you know everything you need to know with regards to this, and that you're incapable of doing what you need to do to make it work, so anything else posted here is a waste of time.

4. Yes, entirely serious in that you can't always do something just because you are familiar with it, seeing if you did that you'd never learn anything going forward or grow your skills!

Good luck finding a solution to your problem.

riffwraith":17dmdklk said:
1. Most "pros" don't use cans when recording guitars in "pro studios". Some do, of course.

2. I have SBHP. The sound still comes through.

3. I don't use PTools. Most of the work I do is MIDI, and use Cubase.

3a. LIVE's DAW channel? Never heard of that in 12 years of doing DAW work.

3b. Already do that, but thorugh an amp. Same thing. Still does not get rid of the noise from the Torp.

3c. I never cut a guitar DI track along with my rig's output. I don't reamp, so there is no need. Even if I did want to do that, that still does not get rid of the noise from the Torp.

3d. Amp's FX Send? Doesn't exist.

4. Deal with it and learn a new trick? Was that meant to be serious? B/c I didn't take it that way.

Cheers.

Back