Torpedo CAB users, please help with 3rd party IR's

So I accidentally switched off an option I didn't even know was on, "Miking: On", when using a Redwirez Hiwatt Fane's cabinet IR. When I turned it off it felt like someone took the blanket off and the cleans just sounded a bit more alive. It all sounded brighter and more like what I remember my real cabinet sounding like.

However, downside is that the distortions and fuzzes will take a long time to get right, they sound awful.

So question is, should "Miking" be ON or OFF when using 3rd party IR's? ie. non Two Notes IR's.

Because the option has been on since I started using the thing, I'm not sure what the default should be, wih 3rd party IR's.

Many thanks

Ah sorry, missed the last bit of your post. How does it do that for 3rd party IRs? Surely it's just a WAV file, they can't take away the sound of the 3rd party mic? Ev, I'm using a Redwirez Hiwatt cab with an SM57, how can it disable that SM57 I its on the impulse response?

the mic and the cab are linked, that is required to close the loop. In a perfect world, there would exist a perfectly neutral microphone so that we could present just the cabinet without the signature of the microphone, it's placement and the surrounding environment. While reference mics exist, they just do not seem to do the job with guitar cabinets.

@sysexguy I'm really sorry, I need to rewind a little. If I am loading an impulse response from Redwirez, (Hiwatt Fanes 4x12) that has (included) a mic placement of 0.5" from cap using an SM57, what is "Miking: On/off" setting doing on the Torpedo CAB on that specific preset? Is it physically removing that SM57 from the WAV file (highly doubt that - being that it's part of that IR), or (more realistically) is it removing an additional mic that was added by WoS or the Torpedo CAB?

Many thanks for your time, this is a little bit confusing

Back