Torpedo Live

ven77

Hi All, I just bought a Torpedo Live and my silly question is: Can i plug a Randall KH-120 amp, 120 watt amp into the torpedo live to use it as a cab sim?
I don't know if the torpedo can handle 120 watt. Thanks indeed! :)

is safe to do it... remember to use speaker cable to conect the head to the torpedo live and match the impedances (8 omhs)

mind the levels tho... and read the manual to get the best results...

PD: i don't get how can someone could buy $900 gear and don't know how use it.

The Two notes website has lots of useful FAQ's, in this case http://support.two-notes.com/knowledgeb ... rticle=277

In short :

Yes, you can use an amplifier rated for more than 100 Watts with the Torpedo Live. You just have to keep its output volume low enough.

In more details :

The Torpedo Live is rated at 100 Watts. This means that the internal 8 Ohms loadbox can dissipate up to 100 Watts of power (assuming proper ventilation).

If more power is fed into the Torpedo Live, it will overheat, warn you about it (by means of an indication on the LCD display and a volume drop), and finally go into overheating protection. You can have a look at this article for more informations about this. In order to prevent the Torpedo Live to go into overheating protection, you have to fed it 100 Watts max.

Every amplifier is rated for a certain amount of Watts. This means that the amplifer is capable of outputing this much power. However, this does not mean that the amplifier actually outputs this much power in any situation : a 150 Watts amplifier does not output 150 Watts as soon as it's turned on. The output power is related to the actual output volume of the amplifier, which is dependant on many things (amount of distortion, EQ, output level of the guitar...), but is mostly controlled by the Volume or Master Volume control. So if you set the volume of any amplifier (no matter how powerful it is) properly, you can make it output less than 100 Watts.

Of course, it is almost impossible to know what the actual output power of your amplifier is in any particular situation. In particular, please note that the power output is not proportional to the Volume control : when the Volume is set to 50% (12 o'clock), the output power is rarely half the rated power of the amplifier ! It can be 10%, 90%, or even already the maximum power.

So, if your amplifier is rated for more than 100 Watts, you can use it with the Torpedo Live,you just have to play it low enough. For this, you will have to use your best judgement. A good starting point is to keep all the settings as when you are using your amplifier on an actual speaker cabinet. When using the amplifier with the Torpedo Live for the fisrt time, monitor both the amplifier and the Torpedo Live. Does the amplifier sound OK ? the output tubes of your amplifier heat more than usual ? Do they turn red ? Is the air flowing out of the Torpedo Live really hot ? If anything seems wrong, don't insist, and lower the volume of your amplifier. If everything seems OK, you can go on.

On an adjacent topic, please refer to the User Manual of the Torpedo Live for notes on what the ideal output volume is for your amplifier (regardless of its rated power). Playing an amplifier as loud as possible is not always a good idea.

Finally, please note that some amplifiers, usually vintage ones (or modern ones replicating vintage ones), can sometimes output more than their rated power. Some vintage "100 Watts" amps can easily output 150 Watts when played at full volume (which usually makes them crunch very hard !). Again, this should be monitored, by watching the behavior of the amplifier and Torpedo Live.

Thanks you both for that info, I wanted just be sure about it to be on the safe side of things, I'm really a newbie in that field and I'm trying to avoid any fuck ups. Thanks Again!!!!!! :)

Back