Creating impulse responses, solid state amplifier advice

tof_sten

Hello Guys,

I'm thinking about creating impulses responses.
I know I need a transparent solid state amp to do so.
Do you have advices for a solid state amp model?

Regards,

Hi, you'll need a good quality clean power amp, mono or using one side of a stereo amp that can put out 200+ watts RMS into 8 ohms....You won't need all that power but it is important for headroom and having a quick response.

sysexguy":3124c3aa said:
Hi, you'll need a good quality clean power amp, mono or using one side of a stereo amp that can put out 200+ watts RMS into 8 ohms....You won't need all that power but it is important for headroom and having a quick response.
Yes, do you have brand/models to advise?

The key to the perfect IR capturing amplifier:

- flat bandwidth
- high power so you stay away from harmonic distortion
- low output impedance

On the cheap side the Behringer A500 fits the description, there are plenty of good amps, the first thing would be for it is capable to deliver 200-250W RMS at 8 Ohms with low distortion. Beware, with SS amps, the power decrease with the cabinet impedance. ;)

http://support.two-notes.com/knowledgebase.php?article=149&suggest=1

guillaume_pille":1yh0s50l said:
The key to the perfect IR capturing amplifier:

- flat bandwidth
- high power so you stay away from harmonic distortion
- low output impedance

On the cheap side the Behringer A500 fits the description, there are plenty of good amps, the first thing would be for it is capable to deliver 200-250W RMS at 8 Ohms with low distortion. Beware, with SS amps, the power decrease with the cabinet impedance. ;)

http://support.two-notes.com/knowledgebase.php?article=149&suggest=1
Thanks Guillaume, I will go for this Behringer :)
I have one more question, how do you set the volume on the power amp? Let's say I'm doing an impulse of a 25w greenback speaker, I want to be sure I won't fry it.

I have one more question, how do you set the volume on the power amp? Let's say I'm doing an impulse of a 25w greenback speaker, I want to be sure I won't fry it.

Well, that's the thing, you can't really tell. 25W is already quite loud, I usually just raise the volume with the test signal BlendIR can generate until I feel like the speaker is properly pushed.

If you need a reference, because I can do that by experience and I can understand my answer is not very satisfying, hook up the guitar amp you use with the cabinet and push it loud to get an idea of the "good volume" for the cabinet. Of course I assume you don't have a 200W guitar tube amp. ;)

Back