Torpedo Studio: Mic distance delay?

boing

Is there a feature to compensate or offset the delay that occurs in real life between cabinets and mic distances?

Cabinet 1: At full distance of 10 ft, because of how sound travels, there would be a delay of approx. 10ms.
Cabinet 2: At half distance of 5 ft, 5ms, etc...

This would be a great feature to have when you want to create a wide guitar sound in real time without running into all the associated phase issues that come with miking up real cabinets and recording them simultaneously at different distances.

I suppose that I could to a simple 'track shift' post recording, but that does not translate to real time convenience, and I'm sure the Torpedo Studio has the power to handle it. Thanks for your attention.

Is there a feature to compensate or offset the delay that occurs in real life between cabinets and mic distances?

We already have a system in place that power aligns the signal. Rather than working with phase or delay, we prefer working with the perceived loudness of a mix of two microphones. Without going into too much detail, all the Torpedo cabinet models, whatever the microphone position, if mixed together (so 2 and more different captures/mikings), will be matched in loudness, pretty much what you would do by setting up two microphones "in phase".

If you want to add some of the comb filtering effect resultant of the mix of two microphones, the parameter Variphi is what you need (only on WoS III and Torpedo Studio/VB-101).

I appreciate your in depth response. There used to be a widening feature on the old VB-101 Remote software (I think top right corner), why was it removed? Could you please explain what that feature was doing, and how I might go about downloading an older version of Torpedo Remote that had it? Thanks.

That was a faux stereo effect mostly to make headphones more fun..... basically offset comb filters iirc. The true stereo operation of either an upgraded VB-101 or the Studio offers a way better experience, both in headphones or to daw/speakers.

If you are looking for some more complex ambiences, there are new cabinets available to are focused on capturing room miking tones
http://store.two-notes.com/index.php?id ... &id_lang=1
and of course, there's a rumour ;) of an update coming with reverb as the Live/CAB

It's not a rumor, and the reverb is better. ^^

There used to be a widening feature on the old VB-101 Remote software (I think top right corner), why was it removed?

It was removed because handling the new stereo feature (or dual mono) of the VB-101 and Studio + a false stereo effect was a headache.

Back