Torpedo Live Questions

Hello forums,

I have a Torpedo Live and a peavey 6505 head. Currently for recording I am running the Line out into channel 1 of my Steinberg UR22 soundcard using a 1/4 cable and out of my Yamaha HS5 monitors but I was curious as to if this is correct. Is this the best way for me to record with my current equipment? I do not have an audio interface with SPDIF so that is not an option. Also, is there a way that I could just plug my monitors right into the torpedo live for just practicing when not recording?

When it comes to the input meter on the front of the torpedo live, is it better to keep the master on my amp low and crank the input level? Should I be aiming for the highest input signal before peaking ?

I just want to know the absolute best way to setup the equipment I have so it sounds best for recording / practicing.

Thank you,
Darcy

Darcy,

I frequently use the TL for recording in the same manner as you do. At home, i run the 1/4" line out to the input of my cheapo mobilepre interface, which runs into Logic. I use similar monitors as you do, HS50 (not sure the differences between our two models...). To my understanding, the benefit of using the SPDIF out is that you are able to capture two signals, one of the "naked" preamp sound, and one with the IR added. This would clearly give you more flexibility when recording. When recording at home, I tend to just turn off the miking feature so that i record my raw amp sound and apply the IR of choice in WOSIII. Either way, if you simply want to record the actual affected sound that comes out of the TL, thats fine too. It's all personal preference.

When you are just practicing, you can absolutely run direct to the HS5's. You just need to be mindful of the amount of signal that is being sent from the TL so that you do not clip the inout of the speaker.

Your question regarding the way to set your master volume on your amp is one that I feel personally qualified to answer. see my post viewtopic.php?f=75&t=168944. After a year of using the TL with my Bogner Shiva, i started to notice that my highs were being dampened pretty extremely, and would need to turn both my treble and presence controls up all the way to compensate. I was also getting more distortion (and not always a pleasant type - except my clean channel had a great natural OD to it that sounded great in a blues setting...) than i wanted. The gain channels especially were almost into the fuzz territory, and did not have any low end edge or clarity. the neck pickup on my start was pretty much useless for my tastes. finally i decided to experiment with turning down my master volume and adjusting the TL input gain, and BAM! There was the sound i knew my amp had! I can now roll my treble and presence controls to what is a more reasonable setting. I don't know if your amp will react the same way, but I would highly suggest to experiment with various levels on your master. I wish you good luck on your quest!

cpiquette":37tprho4 said:
Darcy,

I frequently use the TL for recording in the same manner as you do. At home, i run the 1/4" line out to the input of my cheapo mobilepre interface, which runs into Logic. I use similar monitors as you do, HS50 (not sure the differences between our two models...). To my understanding, the benefit of using the SPDIF out is that you are able to capture two signals, one of the "naked" preamp sound, and one with the IR added. This would clearly give you more flexibility when recording. When recording at home, I tend to just turn off the miking feature so that i record my raw amp sound and apply the IR of choice in WOSIII. Either way, if you simply want to record the actual affected sound that comes out of the TL, thats fine too. It's all personal preference.

When you are just practicing, you can absolutely run direct to the HS5's. You just need to be mindful of the amount of signal that is being sent from the TL so that you do not clip the inout of the speaker.

Your question regarding the way to set your master volume on your amp is one that I feel personally qualified to answer. see my post viewtopic.php?f=75&t=168944. After a year of using the TL with my Bogner Shiva, i started to notice that my highs were being dampened pretty extremely, and would need to turn both my treble and presence controls up all the way to compensate. I was also getting more distortion (and not always a pleasant type - except my clean channel had a great natural OD to it that sounded great in a blues setting...) than i wanted. The gain channels especially were almost into the fuzz territory, and did not have any low end edge or clarity. the neck pickup on my start was pretty much useless for my tastes. finally i decided to experiment with turning down my master volume and adjusting the TL input gain, and BAM! There was the sound i knew my amp had! I can now roll my treble and presence controls to what is a more reasonable setting. I don't know if your amp will react the same way, but I would highly suggest to experiment with various levels on your master. I wish you good luck on your quest!

Thank you for your reply. What kinda cable do i need to plug in the speakers to the TL? Do I go from the line out of the TL and get some sort of split cable to go to each speaker?

If i were to use this type of setup, I probably would only use 1 speaker... I suppose you could use a splitter cable, but I'm fairly certain that the integrity of the signal might be degraded slightly... It would definitely work, but there would be a better way

Back