Torpedo Reload: Noisy

Bombshell

Hello everyone! Hope this is in the right place.

I have a torpedo reload and I love it for what it is. My issue is that I get, what I assume to fan noise, in my return line from the amp.
The noise persists between amplifiers. It is NOT from my instrument, as I've tried several at this point. My cables are all of decent quality and proper working order. I've used balanced cabling everywhere I can, to and from the Reload. The only unbalanced cables are: From Reload to amp, From Instrument to Reload, and from Amp speaker out to Reload.
It's not a ground hum or radio signal, and I've moved since owning the Reload and the noise has persisted so, I'm doubting that it's the electricity or RF/Bulbs around me.

I can make a recording of the noise if necessary.

any help getting rid of this would be greatly appreciated. I hope it's not just something that exists in the reload. I can't imagine a company like Two Notes would do something like that. Thanks in advance!

Have you tried the ground lift switches on the back of the unit?

Also you may want to try moving the Reload away from the amp and same goes for the guitar, at least for the time to trouble shoot this noise issue. The Reload is a reactive load which means there is a coil which can interact with other electro-magnetic devices like pickups and transformers.

Finally you should try the various function of the Reload individually and then add one by one, the others in different combination. Try the guitar straight to the amp input and then use the Reload as an attenuator, then as a load box with the line level to DAW.

If you are routing the DI to DAW and then sending the DAW back to replay and your gains aren't staged properly, the noise floor will be much greater.

Please report back and provide some details of your interface and DAW. I'm pretty sure it's something simple.

Sorry it took so long to follow up. It's been a busy time…
anyway

the noise is not present if I plug directly into the amp.
If i use the Replay jack, the noise is present despite any ground lifts, even when the guitar is NOT plugged into the Reload.
the Reload is racked, about 3ft away from the amp.

Hi again, have you created a support ticket at Two notes? That is often the best and fastest way to get assistance with any issues. Please also detail your signal path and as I stated earlier, start with testing each individual function before connecting everything together. This issue is likely simple and easily resolved.

Bombshell the connection between the soundcard ant the Reload is very sensitive to noise, by essence.

Sometimes it's the computer screen, sometimes it's the amp's power supply transformer, it's alway interesting to try to move around the unit to find if there is a better orientation that will limit the noise.

Like Andy said, it's important to check one by one to find which stage brings the noise. I would try first soundcard-> replay in -> replay out -> amp in -> regular cabinet

The noise is present when I connect the amp's input to the Replay out of the Reload. I can see the SPKR light indicating signal coming from the amp, and I can actually hear the noise coming out of the reload.
At that point, the only things electrically connected, are the Reload and the Amp (the reload is not connected to the audio interface).
I do not use a cabinet, my living arrangement does not allow it.

I can actually hear the noise coming out of the reload.

With nothing attached to the loadbox output, how can you hear anything? Do you hear a feedback maybe coming from the unit itself, or the amp?

The best would be to send a message to our Help Desk so one of the developers of the product can help you step by step.

Back