Torpedo Studio - Distortion Issues

Uncle Mike

This is an ongoing issue.

I purchased a Torpedo Studio, and have used it with three different amps. My amp is a Marshall JMP50 50 watt.
The Marshall was set at 2 on the volume scale (1-10) for a nice full clean tone.

The Studio input was set so that only the green leds would illuminate if pushed one yellow would occasionally light.
The Output was set so all green leds would illuminate but no yellow.

Listening with high quality in ear monitors, the amp tones were distorting.
Listening through a Apogee Symphony (analog connection) with Focal Twin monitors, the same distortion was evident. Connecting a thru cable to a 1x12 cab, there is no distortion in the amps output that is audible.

I hooked the Torpedo Studio up ta Prism Titan here in the studio and we got the same result with both analog and digital connections.

So we tried a second amp. A Two Rock Crystal which is clean unless pushed hard and got the same distortion. Using both amps, the Power Amp Sims Function was turned off. We tried the Two Notes Cabs as well as the Ownhammer Marshall IR's.

Next we connected the Amp via a Suhr Reqactive Load. Using the Wall of Sound, there was no distortion.

Following all suggestions in the knowledge base, including wet/wet settings, we could not get the distortion to go away. Both amps were set so low in volume that it makes no sense.

Anyone else find this occurring?

Uncle Mike

Can you try the Studio with everything bypassed (power amp sim, speaker emulation and post f/x) and using the WOSIII either digitally or analog connection from Studio to DAW?

Next would be to try the line input using a pre-amp, both with everything bypassed using WOS III and using the Torpedo normally.

Did you listen using the inears via the interface or directly on the front panel headphone out?

Connecting a thru cable to a 1x12 cab, there is no distortion in the amps output that is audible.

When you connect something on the THRU output (either the 1x12 cab or the Suhr loadbox) is there still distortion at the Torpedo Studio output?

sysexguy":sq3epsbi said:
Can you try the Studio with everything bypassed (power amp sim, speaker emulation and post f/x) and using the WOSIII either digitally or analog connection from Studio to DAW?

Next would be to try the line input using a pre-amp, both with everything bypassed using WOS III and using the Torpedo normally.

Did you listen using the inears via the interface or directly on the front panel headphone out?

With everything bypassed (FX, AMP Sim, Cab Sim, etc.) distortion still there.
Using the nears, I listed on the Studio headphone out, the Symphony IO Headphone Jack and the Prism Headphone Jack.

I tried connecting the Studio both with 2 analog (L&R) XLR cables, and a Digital cable.
Still distortion there.

guillaume_pille":2wch60ej said:
Connecting a thru cable to a 1x12 cab, there is no distortion in the amps output that is audible.

When you connect something on the THRU output (either the 1x12 cab or the Suhr loadbox) is there still distortion at the Torpedo Studio output?

Connecting a speaker cab to the thru jack, there is NO Distortion through the CAB but it is there on the output of the STUDIO both analog and digital through the headphone out as well as thorough the interface and monitors.

Cutting the amps output to a whisper does not help.

Sounds silly, but try cutting your master even further... that solved the same issue i had with my bogner. I now set it way lower than i would ever consider with a traditional cab.

Spent a good number of hours on this.

The master on my amp is at 1. In fact, the output level is just above the point where it taper to nothingness.
The Input of the Studio meter indicated everything is green, no yellow leds lighting. The output is the same.

I listen through the Studio headphone out, the Symphony headphone out or through my monitors and its still there.
Recorded a bunch of tracks with Protools and the distortion sound s pretty much just like the headphone or monitor out.

I tried everything. Turned off all effects, changed various wet/wet, wet/dry, dry/dry settings, digital cables, analog cables (but the distortion is there without hooking up the Symphony), tried different cabs, no cabs, etc.

I again disconnected the Studio and hooked up a friends Suhr Reactive load. The signal is pristine and clean. No distortion.
Crazy, eh?

I have spent way too much time on this.
Arranged to ship the unit to the dealer. Trying to decide is they should ship me a second unit.

This Studio is not right, please have your dealer contact us (if you're in Canada or the USA) and we'll arrange a replacement through them. The amp should run nice and loud, as loud as you play with a loud drummer and a 4x12 or more without distortion. At master at 1. the amp will only be a shadow of its true character....like a Ferrari driving in a mall parking lot. If you are elsewhere, open a ticket at the Two notes helpdesk and they will direct the matter to the right party.

Back