WOS III vs torpedo Live

heythere

I'm gonna be real here...I think there i a difference in quality between the WOS III and torpedo unit itself when using IR's. Would you guys find this to be true as well?

I like not committing to the sound until WOS III, butI would rather get a better sound. Curious what your thoughts are...

The hardware Torpedo unit (Live or Studio) definitely has a better sound, you aren't relying on your audio interface and CPU of your computer.

How much better would you say? I was told that they sound the same, but now I am learning that it's different.

I think the Torpedo hardware has a cleaner, crisper sound with less noise. The audio interface on the unit is probably superior to a lot of computer audio interfaces, especially USB devices. I am going into my DAW with a pure digital signal (using SPDIF) and it sounds fantastic.

Hi heythere,

the processing in Torpedo Studio and WoS III is the same.

Still, as our hardware will be different from your soundcard, you can hear these differences. In a Torpedo Studio you will find the same conversion quality you ca find in high end studio converters units, in a Torpedo Live/CAB the same things you will find in a 1000-1500 USD soundcard.

You can certainly hope to get a better result than an inexpensive USB soundcard. ;)

I really want to get to the bottom of this question, because I've made some choices, but want to really know the right way to go at this point.

I had the torpedo studio for a while...it sounded good. I then saw the Suhr reactive load came out. I was hurting for money at the time and people online were raving about it, so I decided to sell the studio and buy the Suhr reactive load. I now use the reactive load with Two notes WOS III.

When I first got the Suhr, I thought it sounded better. But the truth is, I think it was just different now looking back. I was really attracted to the simplicity of it, only one knob.

Now that I've had the Suhr RL for a while, I am questioning the quality of using it w/ the WOS III VS. having the Torpedo Studio or Torpedo Live and using the actual hardware and not using WOS III.

I am trying to get pro quality sounds here that could be released on major labels. I have an Apollo twin duo that i use...

So I guess I'm wondering how audible are the differences to the ear when recording with the Studio or the Live hardware program vs. using either unit with WOS III?

And how audible is the Suhr RL when using it w/ WOS III vs using either the Two Notes Live or the Studio w/ Wos III?

I would love to hear people's experiences and insight.

I haven't used the Suhr, but was using a Weber Lite attenuator with WoS III and Mackie Blackbird (USB audio device, analog input only) and then moved to Torpedo Studio, with SPDIF going into RME Multiface II (which uses dedicated PCI card interface). While I thought WoSIII sounded great, I think Torpedo Studio sounds cleaner/less noise, as I remarked above, and this can probably be attributed to better audio hardware in both parts of the setup. I daresay the D/A converter on the Studio unit is better than the one in the Mackie Blackbox. :)

Honestly, I'm using the Live hardware for my recording. I am only using the Remote to change a few things for each song. I haven't been able to get the latest version of WOS-III running with my DAW for a couple of months now with a support ticket in, so I am just about to give up on it. I haven't noticed a difference at all. Everything I need is in the box and I'm happy with using that.

Thank you. Would love to hear from more people who have compared WOS III with the remote program, or compared the torpedo hardware vs the suhr reactive load and overall sound quality.

guillaume_pille":18xky7fy said:
compared WOS III with the remote program

Remote does not process the sound, it's just... a remote. ;) The interface is very similar and almost identical between Remote for Torpedo Studio and WoS III. ;)
Cool. good to know. So would it be fair to say, if using an XLR out to the interface, the only difference between the torpedo studio, torpedo live, and Suhr reactive load as far as sound quality goes is one's personal preference on the load? Is there anything else I'm missing?

If you don't use the embedded speaker simulation, yes the main difference will be the load that will be different in these products.

Another matter is security: I don't know if the Suhr load has some kind of thermal security to prevent frying the amp in case you push the loadbox over its capacity in terms of power dissipation.

Back