Live/Cab questions

GrandmaGirl

Hello guys,
I'm looking for a way to get good tone for silent practising end recording and I'm considering getting either the Torpedo Live for use with my Vox AC15 or the Torpedo CAB along with a Le Clean or some other preamp. A couple of questions:

1/ If I hook my AC15 up to the Torpedo Live, can I still use the amp's built in reverb and tremolo? (this is probably a stupid question, but I know very little about how these things work).

2/ Apart from the regular line output, the Live has S/PDIF. Going through the line output and into an audio interface requires another AD-conversion, so I would think that using S/PDIF is sounds better/cleaner. But doesn't that also mean that the Live sounds just a little bit better than the CAB which doesn't have S/PDIF? Or is the difference so tiny that it doesn't really matter?

Any input i much appreciated. Thanks.

1/ = yes. The LIVE hooks up to your amp's Speaker Out in most cases.

2/ = Yes, the Digital Output will be cleaner and quieter, but whether this is desired for electric guitar tones is subjective. You do lose a little latency as well if using Digital Output (+- 1ms approximately?). It depends as many like to use their LIVE/CAB into analog mic preamps for additional sonic color, in which case I believe the CAB/LIVE are equal on the Analog I/O side.

The main difference between the LIVE and CAB is the LIVE's Load, some Routing Options that involve the Digital Output, and the Digital Output itself (plus form factor etc).

GrandmaGirl":27coqf45 said:
Hello guys,
I'm looking for a way to get good tone for silent practising end recording and I'm considering getting either the Torpedo Live for use with my Vox AC15 or the Torpedo CAB along with a Le Clean or some other preamp. A couple of questions:

1/ If I hook my AC15 up to the Torpedo Live, can I still use the amp's built in reverb and tremolo? (this is probably a stupid question, but I know very little about how these things work).

2/ Apart from the regular line output, the Live has S/PDIF. Going through the line output and into an audio interface requires another AD-conversion, so I would think that using S/PDIF is sounds better/cleaner. But doesn't that also mean that the Live sounds just a little bit better than the CAB which doesn't have S/PDIF? Or is the difference so tiny that it doesn't really matter?

Any input i much appreciated. Thanks.

Cool, thanks for the answers. It makes sense what you're saying about the subjectivity of the whole tone question. Personally, I hardly ever use mega clean tone, so any degradation due to double conversion and whatnot could probably be perceived as an intended effect or maybe corrected in the box if necessary. As for the latency issue, that sounds minimal. Thanks again.

The converters are clean and modern, so there's no "degradation " at all, especially at guitar freqs, though each conversion does add latency (+- 1ms, which can add up if you have a lot of other digital devices in a serial chain etc).

GrandmaGirl":2imgop9v said:
Cool, thanks for the answers. It makes sense what you're saying about the subjectivity of the whole tone question. Personally, I hardly ever use mega clean tone, so any degradation due to double conversion and whatnot could probably be perceived as an intended effect or maybe corrected in the box if necessary. As for the latency issue, that sounds minimal. Thanks again.

Sounds good, thanks. Think I'll end up going for the Live anyway. I like the idea of being able to use my AC15 without having to worry about being too noisy.

Live is a fantastic product! I always am using mine whether practicing quietly at home, recording or playing live. Enjoy when you get it!

Back