Torpedo studio in patch bay

Beauburchell

Hi. I just got a torpedo studio and I absolutely love it. I have it mounted in a rack with other recording equipment.

I also have a amp / speaker patch bay that I use to patch different heads into the iso booth without climbing behind the stack of amps.

I would like to have the two notes in my patch bay. So that I could use the two notes with or without a cab, and not need to climb behind the desk to patch in and out the thru cable.

My question is this. If the thru output jack has a cable connected, but no cab, is the two notes still taking the load of the head? Or is the load bypassed when a cable is inserted? Hopefully I'm wording that right. (Is it safe to play the amp with the thru cable inserted, but not connected to a cab)

Thanks in advance.

Beau

The load is bypassed when a cable is inserted in the Thru jack. So, playing your amp, connected to the Studio, with a cable in the Thru jack but nothing at the end of the cable, is not safe.

The security load is still there and will provide a minimal loading of the amp, but this load is designed for protection only, not normal playing.

Ideally you would have a security load normalled to each amp's patch point. This is how the amp switchers generally work but they have the added feature of also automatically rerouting the input. (muting all but the selected amp). In the case of a manual patch bay, it will be a more likely event that you are sending a signal through an amp without proper load.

One option would be to run the Studio in parallel with a secondary load which could also be switched to a cab (or a choice of cabs). This way, you wouldn't need to go behind the amps to reselect impedance and have access to all possible options from the patch bay.

You could also send a dry signal (line level) from the Torpedo to a re-amplifier when a live speaker is required. Most solid state or class D amps don't require a load however care must be taken not to patch while a signal is passing through. If you go this route, consider a speak-on connector patch field. This connector does not create a momentary short while insertion or disconnection.

Back