Question about Torpedo LIve

motrock

Hey everyone, I am looking at the Torpedo Live unit. I have a question about it. I am seeing videos on Youtube for guys using more then one mic and cab. Basically 2 Impulse Responses. Can this be done with the Torpedo Live; or would I need the Torpedo Studio? My goal is to have 2 IRs; one with a Royer 121 and another with an SM57. To get the fully range of frequencies. I see the Steve Stevens did that in his video; and I think thats awesome. But he did it with the Torpedo Studio. Is that possible with the Torpedo Live? Can you combine different cabs and speakers at once? Multiple IR's with it?

Would I need to upgrade the software to the WOS III in order to do that?

I am completely new to all of this and don't own a unit yet. Doing some initial research. I want to record with my Marshall JMP 2203 clone and my 50watt Plexi!

Thanks guy; look forward to hearing some responses!

The quick answer is no the Live can only do one cabinet at a time but there are ways to get a multi mic'd sound.

The purchase of a Live gives you a 32 cabinet licence which is yours to use with the Live and also with WOSIII. In addition, any in app purchases from the boutique are then added to your library for both units. You can also add third party IR's or create and combine to make your own in the free Blend IR.

so this means that for live performance, you can either choose a static IR that uses multi micing or take 2 or more single mic static IR's and combine them in Blend IR to make your own multi mic IR. Up to 512 of these static IR's can then be loaded into the Live at any one time and assigned to any or all of the 100 patches.

in the studio, you also have the option of printing the dry sound without emulation and then using the WOSIII for the speaker processing. WOSIII allows one to easily combine up to 99 cabinets at one time per instance and/or use the Torpedo cabs in conjunction with any static IR. In practical application, 2 to a max of 4 cabinets can be combined with the full ability to change mics and position and depending on available computer resources, you may tweak these results right until mixdown or print or freeze your settings once you get exactly what you are looking for.

You may also discover that the perfect combination of cabinet, mic and placement gives a better result than multi micing. This is especially true in cases where micing anywhere else but right up close is not practical (imagine a u87 8' from a cabinet during a live show from a band that jumps around a lot....)

The Studio does offer extra functionality and as the flagship of the Two notes line is the best choice for maximum performance but using the tricks listed above, you can get the Live to get really close.

sysexguy":1ggn3uy8 said:
The quick answer is no the Live can only do one cabinet at a time but there are ways to get a multi mic'd sound.

The purchase of a Live gives you a 32 cabinet licence which is yours to use with the Live and also with WOSIII. In addition, any in app purchases from the boutique are then added to your library for both units. You can also add third party IR's or create and combine to make your own in the free Blend IR.

so this means that for live performance, you can either choose a static IR that uses multi micing or take 2 or more single mic static IR's and combine them in Blend IR to make your own multi mic IR. Up to 512 of these static IR's can then be loaded into the Live at any one time and assigned to any or all of the 100 patches.

in the studio, you also have the option of printing the dry sound without emulation and then using the WOSIII for the speaker processing. WOSIII allows one to easily combine up to 99 cabinets at one time per instance and/or use the Torpedo cabs in conjunction with any static IR. In practical application, 2 to a max of 4 cabinets can be combined with the full ability to change mics and position and depending on available computer resources, you may tweak these results right until mixdown or print or freeze your settings once you get exactly what you are looking for.

You may also discover that the perfect combination of cabinet, mic and placement gives a better result than multi micing. This is especially true in cases where micing anywhere else but right up close is not practical (imagine a u87 8' from a cabinet during a live show from a band that jumps around a lot....)

The Studio does offer extra functionality and as the flagship of the Two notes line is the best choice for maximum performance but using the tricks listed above, you can get the Live to get really close.

Ok, thanks for the reply. Now, I want to word this differently. Mind you; I am a rookie on all of this stuff. At home I have an SM57, UA SOLO/610 Mic Pre, Imac, GarageBand, and and Apogee Duet. Simple setup huh? Well, once I went to a professional studio and I was miced up with an SM57, Royer 121, 2 Mic Pre's, in to a freaking awesome board. Man, that sound was huge. But we only miced one cabinet. One Marshall cab with Greenbacks and my 50watt Plexi jacked to ear bleeding levels in an isolation room. Well; as you can imagine, I can't do that at home. I can't even get out my simple 1 mic/1 mic pre to do the job.

So I see Pete Thorn using the Torpedo Live in his studio; and he is getting an amazing sound from it. Just killer man! I have heard some seriously mind blowing stuff on youtube from the Torpedo Live. And its all studio stuff.

I am essentially looking at getting that big fat guitar tone that we hear on all the great early recordings. I am wanting to do what I did at the professional studio that I described above. Can that be done with Torpedo Live? With 2 mics on the IR? One cab works perfect.

If so; then I will be really happy. Torpedo Live is half the price of the Studio! LOL And I am sure you get what I mean. Some of this stuff is expensive!

Back