Torpedo Studio low SPDIF output problem

majshumlan

Hi

Im running my amps into a Torpedo Studio and from SPDIF into a motu 828hybrid soundcard/Cubase 7.5.I think im in 88k or 96k
Im on the edge to go to red on the outputmeter on the Torpedo.Great sound but...

Im getting a quite low signal into the motu,I have to boost all there is in the motu input to get a decent signal into Cubase.Though only half of what I should have

Any ideas?

Hi majshumlan, what it the max level you get to (for example when you strike a chord on clean sound) in dB FS in Cubase?

Well so that's perfectly normal. Saturation on the Torpedo will bring you close to 0dB on Cubase, but you don't wan't to go there. ;)

In the studio it's common to keep the signal around -18 or -16dB which leaves enough headroom in case a musician starts playing way louder for a moment.

You still have headroom between the las LED on the Studio's bargraph and the clip led. ;)

okay

Though 7,7 is with a 12db boost on the spdif input of my Motu 828mk3 soundinterface.

But as you say this may be ok im no expert.
Thanx for your answer! :)

It must be a digital boost so you'd better off normalizing your track if having a relatively small wave drawing on your sequencer is an issue. ;)

Back