DI Box for Le Clean

Arozha

So I'm loving the Le Clean so far, but driving it too hard or using pedals makes the signal clip on my audio interface, even with the input gain set to minimum. Seems like a DI box before the interface would solve this problem, but I've never used one before and don't know whether active or passive is the way to go. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi Arozha,

just to make sure I understand: the signal is clipping in your DAW, not in the Clean itself?

Why don't you just lower the output volume on Le Clean?

If you are using the XLR output on Le Clean maybe the signal is too hot for your mic input, try a line input instead.

Yeah it's clipping in the audio interface. I agree that the signal is too hot from the XLR. I'll try line instead and let you know if that's better.

Well because that changes the sound. Unless I'm misunderstanding the controls there is no master output knob on the Le Clean, so lowering the volume on either channel would change the sound. From what I understand a DI box would be a way for me to max out the gain and volume on both channels running in 'hot' mode and then lower the level of the signal (so it doesn't clip when I run it through my interface) without drastically altering the tone. Am I wrong?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the controls there is no master output knob on the Le Clean

You misunderstood: the volume on A and B are master volumes and shouldn't change your sound. ;)

If you max the gain and volume on channel A of Le Clean there is absolutely zero chance you get a clean signal out of it, I'm afraid. So lower volume first, put the gain where you find it to sound better, and adjust the volume so your interface doesn't clip. That's how you should do it. ;)

Back