First post: Hello! New Torpedo Studio - a few questions...

DadDadDaddyo

Hello all!

I'm a new Torpedo Studio owner, just arrived new from Sweetwater. I've been lurking for several weeks and recently opened an account here on RigTalk. My primary uses of the device will be for recording.

I've participated in many web forums over the years and am impressed at the level of participation and interaction happening here between enthusiastic users and involved designers and manufacturers. This is how it's supposed to be!

A couple of questions from a new, new user:

1) product registration. I've got my serial number - how do I register my new device with Two-Notes? The Store support page speaks of an activation code - that sounds like a software registration. Am I missing a step? In the box there were no forms or any printed matter other than the manual.

2) a funny fan noise on startup: it sounds like a high-pitched tone, maybe between 1000 and 2000 hertz. It's loud enough to sound like an indicator of some sort, but it's actually coming from the fan motor.

If you manually spin the fan the sounds goes away briefly, but the fan motor is "resisting" being turned manually: it wants to stay electrically (or magnetically) in one position. I've done a few searches, perused the manual, and I've learned of the auto fan setting. If I switch the fan setting to "Off" the sound immediately ceases.

So - I'm *guessing* that the Auto Fan setting is causing the fan motor to be arrested. I'm also guessing that once the system heats up to the point at which active cooling is required, the fan will begin to turn, and the high-pitched tone will dissipate. Is this an accurate guess? Is it normal for the fan motor to emit a fairly high pitch, clearly audible "beeeeeeeeeee..." when first powered up, on Auto Fan setting, before starting to turn for active cooling?

So - that's it for the moment. I'm looking forward to wringing this equipment out: it looks very much as if it's exactly what I've been looking for!

Thanks and best wishes,

Michael (DadDadDaddyo)
Centrally Inaccessible, PA

Update: I've found more detailed instructions from the knowledge base that are offered up based upon the subject field upon opening a support ticket at the Two Notes Support site, so that probably takes cares if question#1.

I'll download Torpedo Remote and register whilst connected via web, linking my account and my hardware in the process...

Now if I can find similarly revealing notes about the Auto Fan...

Thanks,
Michael (DadDadDaddyo)

The fan should start up and then go to a normal operation speed once the thermocouple determines that the unit is within normal operating temperatures. The Studio can run pretty hard without problems but always assure that ventilation via the front and rear is possible and that the unit isn't physically coupled to another unit that runs hot (like certain a/d converters etc.).

Also note that the sweet spot for most amps is not with everything on 11, usually the typical setting one would use playing in a large room or a decent club with a loudish drummer. With vintage amps, this is typically closer to everything on 11....but there's no gain (pardon the pun) going that loud with many modern hi gain amps.

Hi sysexguy --

Thanks for your reply - I appreciate your comments.

I'm running a variety of Marshall amps, the largest of which is a 2061x that develops power in the vicinity of 20 watts. Some say it sounds best with everything at 11, but I like it better not running flat out, but somewhere reasonably below that.

In my experience, past a certain point an amp does not get louder, rather, the gain goes up and compresses the sound against the ceiling of what the amp can do. Some like that sound - but I like to hear it breathe a little instead of gasping for breath...

Actually, I forgot to mention a 50 watt JMD:1 combo that's been seeing little use since moving into the 2061x and the 1 and 5 watt heads. It can do nice things at low volumes, as well as turn into a beast if riled up. Every now and then it's nice to do...

As to cooling and the fan: I've got the unit by itself in a two-space rack enclosure (a nice tolex-covered job that fits in well amongst the amps). I'm assuming the fan will indeed start up once the load's heat handling reaches a certain point.

But to the original question: is it normal for the fan motor to make an audible high frequency pitch when it's not turning? The fan is not behaving as if there's no power going to the fan, but rather as if there's some kind of active braking stopping the fan, producing the squeal or pitch or tone. Is that an artifact of how the speed control operates?

I'll be happy to upload a recording of the ambient sound produced by the stopped fan with no signal going through the unit. Would that be helpful? I'm mostly trying to learn if it's normal, or if I have to initiate a service request...

Many thanks!

Michael (DadDadDaddyo)

Another quick follow-up:

The registration process was quick and seamless - very smooth!

For the benefit of any other new guys who come along: with the registration process came immediate linking of my hardware device serial number with my Two Notes account. Then the registration system downloaded a package of cabs, along with licensing, to my computer. Then a device firmware update was initiated.

It all happened far more smoothly than many similar processes we've all gone through registering, licensing, and updating production devices and software - without a glitch! I'm impressed!

So thanks to the engineers!

Now - should I pursue the fan question (above posts) here or by opening a support ticket?

Again, many thanks!

Michael (DadDadDaddyo)

DadDadDaddyo":1scigkcg said:
2) a funny fan noise on startup: it sounds like a high-pitched tone, maybe between 1000 and 2000 hertz. It's loud enough to sound like an indicator of some sort, but it's actually coming from the fan motor.

If you manually spin the fan the sounds goes away briefly, but the fan motor is "resisting" being turned manually: it wants to stay electrically (or magnetically) in one position. I've done a few searches, perused the manual, and I've learned of the auto fan setting. If I switch the fan setting to "Off" the sound immediately ceases.

So - I'm *guessing* that the Auto Fan setting is causing the fan motor to be arrested. I'm also guessing that once the system heats up to the point at which active cooling is required, the fan will begin to turn, and the high-pitched tone will dissipate. Is this an accurate guess? Is it normal for the fan motor to emit a fairly high pitch, clearly audible "beeeeeeeeeee..." when first powered up, on Auto Fan setting, before starting to turn for active cooling?

This is an accurate guess.

The noise you are hearing is indeed the fan trying to turn but not managing to because the drive signal is too low (because the heatsink is not hot enough). If the heatsink heats up, then the drive signal becomes high enough at some point, and the fan begins to turn. Then, the higher the temperature, the higher the drive signal, the faster the fan turns.

In normal use conditions, even with no power into the heatsink, the fan should be turning a low speed and not make any noise. But if your room temperature is too low, or maybe because of component variations, it could happen that the fan is not turning. This is not a concern per say, but the noise coming with is, of course.

If this noise bothers you and you want to get rid of it, I would advice you either :

1) Leave the fan OFF if you're not using the amp input, or if you play your amp at low power. Without the fan, the Studio can still dissipate something like 20-30W. The thermal security will still work, so if leaving the fan off leads to overheating, you'll still be warned.

2) Put the Studio in a hotter environment, or play your amp a little through it, both will make the heatsink hotter and will help the fan begin to turn.

Hello Basstyra --

Excellent answer - Thank you for your comprehensive description!

Thanks and best wishes,

Michael (DadDadDaddyo)

I just got my Torpedo Studio last week. So happy with it! Mine did the high pitched noise of first startup and I have heard nothing since. Fan is working perfectly. I've been a Live User since they were first released so this was a natural progression for me to move up to the Studio.

Make sure you check out the LeBoutique cabs when you have some time! The Bogner cabs as well as some of the Marshall cabs are amazing! So much fun!

A quick follow-up --

Since last writing, I've added a couple of amps to the stable, a Vintage Modern 2266 (nominally 50 watts fully cranked) and a 1959HW (something north of 100 watts fully cranked). This has been the first serious wringing-out of the capabilities of the Studio I've undertaken.

And Oh My, What a lovely piece of gear! It's behaving exactly as I had hoped, presenting a load to the amps, providing the cab simulation, and producing a beautifully usable line-out to my mixer for recording.

And yes, the fan is working exactly as described, nearly silently, and without noticeable serious heat build up, even when coping with the full output of the 1959! Very impressive! And sounding wonderful with the cab sims!

So, again, my hearty thanks to the engineers - this is an amazing piece of equipment - it is exactly what I've hoped for!

Thanks and best wishes,
Michael (Dad-Dad-Daddyo)

Back