Torpedo C.A.B connection question

Guitarzan00

Hi all,

New to the forum here. I was looking into purchasing a torpedo C.A.B. I had a question regarding how the Torpedo C.A.B. works (specifically with an amp) I have a Peavey 6505+ 112, which I have an EQ and reverb in the loop. I'd like to still use the EQ and reverb, and any other future pedals that I get that usually go into the loop, while using the C.A.B. If I understand correctly, I can connect the C.A.B to the FX send, and then out to my mixer (use the mixer to plug my laptop/Ipad, and play some backing tracks to my headphones.)

Would I be able to go as follows? Guitar -> OD -> Amp-> FX send -> EQ -> Reverb -> Torpedo C.A.B. -> mixer. Would that work as if my pedals are in the FX loop, essentially they would fall in between the pre-amp, and power amp (seeing as the C.A.B. will have power amp sim turned on) and should work as if it was just in an amp's FX loop normally, right?

If I do this, would plugging a cable connected to nothing in the return of the FX loop mute the speaker (while still plugged in obviously to handle the load) and I would get sound only through the mixer. In theory, this all makes sense to me, but I'm not sure I completely understand how FX loops, or even the torpedo C.A.B. really work.

Thanks.

Yes, that should be fine.

You may or may not need the dummy plug in the amp's FX return to mute the speaker, it depends on the amp, but yes a cable connected to nothing will work (don't short the disconnected end etc). You can also buy a 1/4" cable end to use as well.

Be sure to have the speaker cab plugged in whenever you're using the amp for load!

Also, you may want to put the CAB before the Reverb too, if you're going to hit the CAB's virtual tube power amp sims hard, so try it both ways.

Guitarzan00":2lp6m8hb said:
Hi all,

New to the forum here. I was looking into purchasing a torpedo C.A.B. I had a question regarding how the Torpedo C.A.B. works (specifically with an amp) I have a Peavey 6505+ 112, which I have an EQ and reverb in the loop. I'd like to still use the EQ and reverb, and any other future pedals that I get that usually go into the loop, while using the C.A.B. If I understand correctly, I can connect the C.A.B to the FX send, and then out to my mixer (use the mixer to plug my laptop/Ipad, and play some backing tracks to my headphones.)

Would I be able to go as follows? Guitar -> OD -> Amp-> FX send -> EQ -> Reverb -> Torpedo C.A.B. -> mixer. Would that work as if my pedals are in the FX loop, essentially they would fall in between the pre-amp, and power amp (seeing as the C.A.B. will have power amp sim turned on) and should work as if it was just in an amp's FX loop normally, right?

If I do this, would plugging a cable connected to nothing in the return of the FX loop mute the speaker (while still plugged in obviously to handle the load) and I would get sound only through the mixer. In theory, this all makes sense to me, but I'm not sure I completely understand how FX loops, or even the torpedo C.A.B. really work.

Thanks.

Back