Using Torpedo Live AND a mic'd cab at the same time?

2ninety

Any dangers of any latency phasing or general timing issues with using a Torpedo Live direct AND having your speaker cab mic'd? A lot of people use DI boxes like the Palmer PDI-01 and mix it with their mic'd cab. No latency with the Palmer, but wasn't sure if there was any noticeable latency using the Torpedo Live with an actual mic'd cab.

You will have to compensate for the small delay caused by the analog digital process. Many of the newer digital consoles have provisions for this. If not, you may need add a delay line or IBP processor for the best sound.

Looks like this could be a bad idea to use both the Torpedo Live AND a mic on the cab in a live club situation considering in my area consoles vary from ancient Mackie's to at best a Behringer X32 the engineer barely knows how to operate. Good to know....

Will you pan both center (mono) or LR? Because on LR, no issue.

And yes latency and the resulting potential phase cancelation is an issue as soon as you wanna mix dry sound (r a real miking) with wet sound with digital FX (such as the Torpedo processing).

if you have the time to set up and phase allign the mic and the live then it could work I'm guessing ,just as youd have to do using 2 mics on a cab .get them perfectly out of phase then flip one

gigs I do , if I told the sound guy that I wanted to do that then I think it would get some dirty looks

clubs/bars around here all typically run mono systems, so yeah, there wouldn't be any L/R going on.

I also agree with Mongey, that mentioning anything to do with phase alignment/cancelation to the club/bar sound guys would be met with a look of confusion (aka deer in headlights) followed by an awkward silence then followed by said dirty looks :)

Back