Torpedo Studio Distortion Issue - Sound Man Ready to Kill

Bill Rennaker

So, at a gig last night I was using a humbucker guitar and was getting distortion on the Studio output.
Using SO2 CLEAN 1.

Studio Settings
Input = -12 db peaks
Output = -12 db peaks
Power Amp = Off
EQ = Off
Exciter = Off
Compressor = Off
Reverb = Off
Dry/Wet = 100%
Overload = 0%
Mic Position makes no difference
Mic Type makes no difference.

Amp Settings
Volume 2

The only thing that seems to work is turning the guitar volume know down a bit.
I was reading on another website that someone thought his pickups were too hot for the Torpedo Studio....

I REALLY would like to know what's going on here.
Thanks in advance, love the unit but this is killing me and my sound dude is ready to shoot me.

Bill

Hi Bill, just to be clear, was the input or the output overloading on the Studio?

Or was it simply your amp distorting?

I was reading on another website that someone thought his pickups were too hot for the Torpedo Studio....

Between your pickups and the Torpedo you have... your amp. All the volume sent to the Studio comes from the amp. So obviously if the amp is pushed hard, well, the hotter the pickups the more distortion you get from the amp, and that is the same with any regular cabinet.

Think of the studio as a cabinet, because, well, that's what it is basically.

There is nothing magic happening between your pickups and the Torpedo.

If you can't point other people from another forum to this thread maybe I can help them. ;)

So what you are saying is,

If my amp doesn't exhibit distortion through the speaker, but the output from the Studio does, it's just that the Studio is more sensitive to clipping that the speaker may not audibly exhibit?

Remember, the clipping distortion is not evident through the amps EVM12L speaker.

Sounds like the console input is set to mic level. A quick test would be to plug headphones into the Studio.

You could also test the Studio plugging directly from the Studio into a stage monitor power amp..... bring up the level slowly.

Clean sounds will certainly have more transients especially with higher output humbuckers but the levels you describe seem just fine as long as the PA system/board is gain staged properly.

So what you are saying is,

I was actually asking a simple question, which is important: do you know where the distortion came from? Was the Studio in any way saturating at the input or output?

A test that you can do is plugging your "real" cabinet into the THRU on the Studio and if you can record with a microphone your cabinet + the Studio output. It's usually very informative and let you compare in the same conditions (ie a miking, and not your ear like 10 feet away from the cabinet) both solutions.

And, don't worry, the Studio is used by professional all around the World, we'll make it work for you. ;)

Plugging headphones in shows that the clipping is still there.
The console was at instrument level.

Plugging a real cab into the Thru results in a perfectly lovely clean sound.
The clipping is still evident on the headphones and the line out.

The only way I could reduce or eliminate the clipping is to turn the guitar volume down 1 notch.
Turning off the Two Notes Compressor also helps but I would expect that.

Bill

Bill here is what can do: please post a recording of your cabinet with a real microphone and the Torpedo Studio. It's so much simpler to help you if we hear what you're talking about. If you don't know where to host the files create a ticket on our Help desk, you can send files over there.

Back