Question about choosing the right IR

heythere

I have an important question.

I've been using ownhammer IR's for my tracks with Two notes WOS III and mellowmuse.

When I download the own hammers, there are different options to use 44k, 48k, 96k, etc.

I do different sessions in different formats all the time. How important is it to match the session to the IR?

For instance, if I'm in a 44100 session, and I use a 96k ownhammer IR is that bad? Or if I'm in a 96k logic session and then I use a 44k IR, is that bad?

really trying to understand this. I'm sure probably some people will disagree, but I would love to hear answers from people who really know for sure. Thanks!

Hi heythere,

the internal processing of WOS III will adjust its output to match the project frequency, no matter what is the IR frequency.

This said, the native working frequency of WoS III is 96KHz (all the Torpedo IRs are 96), so use Ownhammer in 96 and you're good. ;)

heythere":2yp9v8ez said:
I have an important question.

I've been using ownhammer IR's for my tracks with Two notes WOS III and mellowmuse.

When I download the own hammers, there are different options to use 44k, 48k, 96k, etc.

I do different sessions in different formats all the time. How important is it to match the session to the IR?

For instance, if I'm in a 44100 session, and I use a 96k ownhammer IR is that bad? Or if I'm in a 96k logic session and then I use a 44k IR, is that bad?

really trying to understand this. I'm sure probably some people will disagree, but I would love to hear answers from people who really know for sure. Thanks!

I may be confusing sellers, as I have a bunch of IRs from diffeent makers and I lose track , but don't ownhammer have a torpedo dedicated folder of files ?

guillaume_pille":2kk3hm2g said:
Hi heythere,

the internal processing of WOS III will adjust its output to match the project frequency, no matter what is the IR frequency.

This said, the native working frequency of WoS III is 96KHz (all the Torpedo IRs are 96), so use Ownhammer in 96 and you're good. ;)

Thanks. I know this may be a weird question to ask you, but I also use mellowmuse plugin. The reason for this is because there are more milliseconds so you get a little more room sound. Do you know if they convert as well?

Also, regarding WOS III, if I use the converted IR, (meaning it will be a different frequency than the project itself) will it sound exactly the same quality as an IR that matches exact frequency of the project, or will there be a little compromise even if it's 1% difference.

Thanks. I know this may be a weird question to ask you, but I also use mellowmuse plugin. The reason for this is because there are more milliseconds so you get a little more room sound. Do you know if they convert as well?

Well I'm afraid I never used and don't know the guys at Mellowmuse so I can't really help you with that. ;)

Also, regarding WOS III, if I use the converted IR, (meaning it will be a different frequency than the project itself) will it sound exactly the same quality as an IR that matches exact frequency of the project, or will there be a little compromise even if it's 1% difference.

It's important to know that most plugins using any kind of distortion algorithm will oversample your signal to make sure the process wont't create aliasing.

So, whatever your project frequency, all plugins having even a little bit of distortion (pretty much any analog modeling plugin, including WoS III) will change it internally. And if it's done properly, any difference between frequencies should be buried in the noise of your system. So it's not even 1% difference.

If it is still a concern for you, try recording several sound samples using different sampling frequencies and you'll get your answer pretty fast. ;)

Back