Torpedo Live spdif RCA OUT to audio interface optical IN

ssuttie

Torpedo Live user currently using analogue line out to line in on my Apogee Duet FW.

Time has come to upgrade the Duet FW and I'm looking at either an Apogee Element or Apollo Twin.
Both of the above interfaces only have optical digital inputs.

I can see there are little converter boxes to change the format from RCA to toslink optical but will these: -
a) add any latency even though it's digital to digital?
b) I understand in a digital connection the Live has to be the master of the s/pdif communication - will it be able to maintain this through a format conversion?

Anyone using a Torpedo Live digital connection successfully into an optical in only interface or do I need to widen my search to an interface with an RCA s/pdif in?

Steve

ssuttie":377ymt80 said:
Torpedo Live user currently using analogue line out to line in on my Apogee Duet FW.

Time has come to upgrade the Duet FW and I'm looking at either an Apogee Element or Apollo Twin.

I can see there are little converter boxes to change the format from RCA to toslink optical but will these: -
b) I understand in a digital connection the Live has to be the master of the s/pdif communication - will it be able to maintain this through a format conversion?

Anyone using a Torpedo Live digital connection successfully into an optical in only interface or do I need to widen my search to an interface with an RCA s/pdif in?

Steve
I was struggling with this today as I was in the market for a new interface. Really wanted the UAD Twin but ultimately opted for something with dedicated S/PDIF and more channels/pre's.

JerEvil":135f12a6 said:
ssuttie":135f12a6 said:

Steve
I was struggling with this today as I was in the market for a new interface. Really wanted the UAD Twin but ultimately opted for something with dedicated S/PDIF and more channels/pre's.

Mind if I ask what interface you opted for?

ssuttie":1ak15aha said:
JerEvil":1ak15aha said:
ssuttie":1ak15aha said:

Steve

Mind if I ask what interface you opted for?
Not at all. I grabbed a Focusrite Clarett 8pre. Needed more inputs with pres for vocals so it was time to update.

Hi there,

Have just been reading your posts. I have just acquired my Two notes torpedo live. I already have an audio interface and it is a Focusrite Clarett 2 pre, unfortunately it only has an optical input no standard SPDIF I think these start in the 4 pre (wish I had know that at the start). Is there any way I can run the SPDIF from the Torpedo to the optical on the Clarett?

Cheers,
Dave

I don't think it supports optical. I'd probably just run out into combo mic input and add the pre's from your Clarett.

I have a Pro24 priced to sell... has SPDIF!

;)

Back