Scarlett 18i20 with Torpedo Live

Does anyone have experience recording the Torpedo live with Pro Tools and the Focusrite 18i20 interface? I have the SPDIF connection hooked up to the interface and have matched sampling rates both in the session and through the "Focusrite Control." The 48 KHz option clips really bad, but when I use 96KHz it's fine for the most part. Created two separate sessions and matched sample rates to test. I could hear huge pops in 48KHz. Can swear I heard very light pops in 96KHz, but nothing crazy and no red peaking bursts like in 48KHz. Can still swear I'm hearing pops constantly. And why won't 48KHz work? Should I skip out on the SPDIF and try something else? Oh, and I'm also running everything through JBL LSR4326P monitors. Thanks ahead of time!

I think I figured it out, it was set to internal clock, not SPDIF. Yet to test it with the 48KHz setting. Will do that soon. Seemed to have made it work perfectly in 96KHz after I got rid of the clock issue. By the way, this sounds pretty killer with my Lee Jackson! Haven't heard anyone post vids with any of his amps yet.

That clock is the reason I just go analog out >18i20. I'm sure it's not as good but I don't hear it
If you use the digi ins, you need to make sure that you have that hooked up everytime set as the master clock when you work on that session.

I had a few VL amps years ago & loved them!

haven't heard anyone post vids with any of his amps yet.

I didn't see any, that's for sure.

And regarding the clock yes it's important to understand the the Torpedo Live needs to be master in the communication, and then it works great. ;)

So I still can't get 48KHz to sync. Really weird! 96 will sync fine. Anything special I need to do? Adjusted sample rates on the focusrite and torpedo to match, but the sync comes on and off. I'd prefer 48KHz if possible.

Okay, so I'm getting a nice tone now out of 48KHz, but clicks and pops. Perhaps this is something to do with the master and slave option. I don't really get how that works or where I find the option for it in Pro Tools or from the "Focusrite control." I'm only getting a sync now from the "Internal Clock" option, SPDIF will absolutely not sync from the Focusrite Control. Is there a special place where I can select Torpedo Live as the Master and my 18i20 as the Slave? Attached a screenshot of the Focusrite Control that shows the sync. Once again, no idea which device is master or slaved.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 3.29.04 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 3.29.04 AM.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 1,199
Inthenameofshred":3mbuccm8 said:
Okay, so I'm getting a nice tone now out of 48KHz, but clicks and pops. Perhaps this is something to do with the master and slave option. I don't really get how that works or where I find the option for it in Pro Tools or from the "Focusrite control." I'm only getting a sync now from the "Internal Clock" option, SPDIF will absolutely not sync from the Focusrite Control. Is there a special place where I can select Torpedo Live as the Master and my 18i20 as the Slave? Attached a screenshot of the Focusrite Control that shows the sync. Once again, no idea which device is master or slaved.
You have to change the clock source to SPDIF. That is how mine is set up on my Torpedo Studio and works fine.

Hi Inthenameofshred,

on your screenshot you see that clock source is Internal, meaning that your soundcard is the master in the communication. The Torpedo Live needs to be the master, having two masters is always a cause for battle. ^^

Thanks for the responses. I adjust the clock to SPDIF and get no sync. Is there anything a can do? I may have to email Focusrite or call. I get a sync only with internal, but with clicks and pops. The SPDIF connection comes on and off intermittently, but with almost no signal, once every 20 seconds or so. Same if I adjust clock source in Pro Tools and not through the Focusrite. Seems both softwares are intertwined, so if I adjust in Pro Tools, it also adjust in the Focusrite software at the same time. Is the clock the only way you adjust what is master? Or am I missing a step?

By the way, just hooked up my Eleven Rack with a perfect sync. It's totally the Focusrite 18i20. Don't recommend this interface for Torpedo! Way too complicated!

Pro Tools must be at 48Khz and the Focusrite on SPDIF (or external, I don't know the choices you have in the Focusrite interface).

If you change the PT projet frequency it may overwrite the Focusrite so that's not good, but anyway if it works with the 11R and not the Scarlett it's strange.

We do not have any Focusrite to make a test here, sadly.

To be honest, if I were you, I wouldn't bother much with SPDIF if that's an issue; The converters on both the Live and the soundcard are good, just use the Line level analog link and play some music. ;) You should not experience too much tone loss, don't worry.

Back