Le Clean — no output on XLR w/o Inst. Out connection

GVDub

Here's one I haven't been able to figure out yet. Pedalboard set up with Le Clean and Torpedo C.A.B., plus some miscellaneous pedals plugged in front of the Le Clean. The C.A.B. is running in the loop of the preamp, as suggested in the manual, and it's all on a Temple Boards unit. The Inst. Out of the Le Clean is permanently connected to one of the Temple 4-jack I/O modules, which are fully normalled TRS jacks. When I try and feed audio from the balanced D.I. out, I get nothing, until I plug a cable into the output jack on the pedalboard, which is permanently connected to the Inst. Out on the Le Clean. Is there some internal switching thing going on with the preamp that being TS out plugged into TRS normalled jack is messing up on the balanced D.I.? I've experienced this issue both with attempting to feed a regular balanced mic input and when using a XLR-F to TRS-M connection from the D.I. out.

Also, is there any way that the Inst. Out could become switchable between Line/Inst.? Aside from solving the entire above problem, it would add a degree of versatility for when the preamp is being used as a really cool boost pedal in front of a regular guitar amp. The Le Clean sounds awesome into the input of my old Ampeg Rocket 2, but it's way too hot and needs serious padding when I run it that way.

There is not switching involved at the Output jack of Le Clean (which is TS only), but the DI circuit is directly fed from this output, so if it is shorted, the DI output goes mute. Maybe that's what happens ? I'm not sure I understand how (and to what) the Output jack of Le Clean is connected, in your setup.

It would appear that the Temple connector plate has jacks that are self normalled as this may be optimal to function with control pedals or certain pedals that may self oscillate otherwise when connected to a floating plug. Pleae contact Temple and explain your connectivity and the fact that a muted line output affects the XLR i/o. A mod should be quite easy, quick snip, and home for dinner.

Basstyra":4tc7gu8v said:
There is not switching involved at the Output jack of Le Clean (which is TS only), but the DI circuit is directly fed from this output, so if it is shorted, the DI output goes mute. Maybe that's what happens ? I'm not sure I understand how (and to what) the Output jack of Le Clean is connected, in your setup.

That would explain it. The Inst. out is plugged into the inside of a pair of normalled TRS jacks that are in the I/O module of the pedalboard. The outside jack will be shorting tip and sleeve so that the audio thru path is maintained when nothing is plugged into it, so a normal TS plug would then be shorting tip to ground. It would appear that using a dummy plug when using the D.I. out is pretty much the only solution.

sysexguy":2qh0qe0y said:
It would appear that the Temple connector plate has jacks that are self normalled as this may be optimal to function with control pedals or certain pedals that may self oscillate otherwise when connected to a floating plug. Pleae contact Temple and explain your connectivity and the fact that a muted line output affects the XLR i/o. A mod should be quite easy, quick snip, and home for dinner.

Thanks, Andy! I think it'll be easier to just use a dummy plug to open the short, so I don't have to remember, if I ever change anything on the board, that I had modified that one jack. I can also add one of their blank module plates and mount a standard TS jack on it and make the issue go away entirely, now that I know the cause.

Now, to find a graceful way to be able to switch between line and instrument levels on the Le Preamp Inst. Out …

what happens if you switch the level of the CAB output. ie optimize the CAB and the pedal levels with the line setting on the CAB, while running line out and then switch the cab to instrument when the lepedal is connected to an inline amp?

You could also dump 6db if you use a TRS out to your Temple and then plug a regular TS for inst applications. If this all works, that would be great to know

sysexguy":2g02k6vt said:
what happens if you switch the level of the CAB output. ie optimize the CAB and the pedal levels with the line setting on the CAB, while running line out and then switch the cab to instrument when the lepedal is connected to an inline amp?

You could also dump 6db if you use a TRS out to your Temple and then plug a regular TS for inst applications. If this all works, that would be great to know

I have experimented, just in the studio so far, with using an XLR to TRS cable from the Le Clean D.I. to feed the amp and then use the Inst. Out to feed my Focusrite audio interface, all of which seems to work fine. For live, seems as if I'd likely want to use an external D.I. box to convert the Inst. Out to balanced lowZ XLR if there was a long stage run to the mixer, maybe? Although the line level should drive it okay, I suppose, I'd always rather keep things balanced in the high RF environment of a club stage.

I tried switching between line and instrument on the CAB, but it didn't seem to really affect the level from the Inst. Out on the Le Clean. Have to sit down with it again and do some more experimentation.

sysexguy":21tp1rt4 said:
only switch the output, leave the input on line

Seems to do it, though I have to drop the levels on the Le Clean a hair below what seems optimum for the C.A.B. to level match to guitar straight into the amp.

that's fine, the CAB has tons of resolution. With modern digital conversion, levels are not critical, in fact leaving some headroom is desirable.

I was at Line 6 when the original AxSys 212 was out, and the first thing you had to do was set input levels. I spent a lot of time explaining to customers why that was even a thing. I guess old habits die hard.

wow, small world, I was still at Alesis but did some secret beta testing on Axsys212.... That was the model with full range non guitar speakers (which may customer objected to, with their eyes mostly) ....funny how things come full circle in our new world of modeler, simulators and FRFR speaker systems....

sysexguy":1qmzrbru said:
wow, small world, I was still at Alesis but did some secret beta testing on Axsys212.... That was the model with full range non guitar speakers (which may customer objected to, with their eyes mostly) ....funny how things come full circle in our new world of modeler, simulators and FRFR speaker systems....

Yes. Small world. Ralph and Greg brought me over from Midiman to be customer service and I ended up writing the next several generations of manuals and sticking my nose into product development.

Back