Torpedo Reload - connection help

limace

Hello,

I have been playing around with the torpedo reload since two weeks now and it is a tremendous tool.

I have tested successfully the main features for tracking my guitars, DI attenuator and reamping, but I am a bit struggling to get a final set up working as I am looking for.

I explain myself:

Ideally I would like to be able to record a DI track from the Torpedo Reload, while having my amp head working with my cab (miced) so that I can record as well the amped sound fro reference. Final goal is to have A DI track and an amped tracked recorded at the same time. But somehow I cannot achieve to have any sound fed in the amp head/cab... DI signal is fine however. But nothing in amp/cab

In terms of connections:

- My guitar is plugged in the front inst. input of the torpedo
- XLR connects DI from torpedo to my audio interface - monitors and record well in DAW
- AMP out on torpedo goes to input of my amp head
- Speaker out from my amp is in Speaker in on Torpedo
- Speaker out of torpedo goes to my cab

Basically this is the setup shown in the user's manual. Without the load box cable (as I am using my amp and cab I thought it was useless and anyway my audi interface only has two in) and without the reamping cable from audio interface to replay IN of torpedo.

Hence is what I want to acheive possible at all ?
Does it require to have the DAW and computer always on ? If not that would mean lots a cable plugs and unplug when just playing without recording...
Is that achievable with only two xlr inputs on my interface.

I would be so so happy to get some help... It's getting frustrating :D

Thanks in advance,
N

you will either need to spit the signal pre or post Torpedo, both of which will require some plugging and unplugging potentially.

If you split the signal prior to the Torpedo, you may have a small loss in signal but something like a Lehle P Split will do the job. A Y cable would work too as the loswest cost option.

You could also split the signal post DI on the Torpedo and run 1 leg to the computer and the other into Replay In and back to your amp

If you are using the DAW or the interface's manager, you can route the incoming audio to an output for monitoring. If your interface has more than 2 outputs, this will be easier. For lowest latency, you'd want to use the interface audio manager or setup software to arrange this.

Another option that will get you great results is to print the amp's output to DAW which will allow you to also monitor and mike the amp via the Reload. The WOSIII's vast palette of speaker micing options will give you tremendous flexibility in tweaking your tones. While this method does mean that your amp cannot be re-amped with another amp or different settings, the possible results will be excellent.

and finally, you could use a secondary path for your monitoring and forego the live amp, using either a software modeler or an outboard amp sim for your guide track

sysexguy":1m2ct42r said:
you will either need to spit the signal pre or post Torpedo, both of which will require some plugging and unplugging potentially.

If you split the signal prior to the Torpedo, you may have a small loss in signal but something like a Lehle P Split will do the job. A Y cable would work too as the loswest cost option.

You could also split the signal post DI on the Torpedo and run 1 leg to the computer and the other into Replay In and back to your amp

If you are using the DAW or the interface's manager, you can route the incoming audio to an output for monitoring. If your interface has more than 2 outputs, this will be easier. For lowest latency, you'd want to use the interface audio manager or setup software to arrange this.

Another option that will get you great results is to print the amp's output to DAW which will allow you to also monitor and mike the amp via the Reload. The WOSIII's vast palette of speaker micing options will give you tremendous flexibility in tweaking your tones. While this method does mean that your amp cannot be re-amped with another amp or different settings, the possible results will be excellent.

and finally, you could use a secondary path for your monitoring and forego the live amp, using either a software modeler or an outboard amp sim for your guide track

Thanks a lot for that answer :)

I think I got the point, and the solution would then be for me to split the signal before the Torpedo - one signal from splitter to pedal board to amp in (with the speaker cable going through the torpedo for attenuator use) and the other one to go straight to Torpedo inst in, for DI tracking.

This would allow also not to have to turn on the DAW every time I want to play and the plug unplugged task would be limited to when reamping. If I understood correctly :)

I assume an a/b/y (like a Morley one) would do the job as well right ? It is currently what I have and id that could save the costs of a spliter...

Cheers,

yes but bear in mind that the morley is a passive split ie you'll need to make up 3db on each leg and there may be a minor change in your tone. Ideally, your A/B/Y also has at minimum, a ground lift switch which may be engaged if you find there is added noise. If you also using pedals, place them pre the A/B/Y and in many cases, a non true bypass (buffered) effect last before the A/B/Y will be an asset

Back