WOS III Cabs - Dynamic or Static IR?

Greggo

Hi , as above really - are WOS III Cabs - Dynamic or Static IR? Or are they filter based ?

I have 5 cabs bought from the boutique and I have been very happy using them with free VST preamps like LePou especially for lead parts as they really cut through.

In other projects I have been using it as IR loader and loading third party cabs, but even though some third party cabs Ive got are good sounding they dont seem to have the feel of the proprietary WOS cabs, so makes me wonder if this technology in more dynamic feeling or whether they are static IRs like most regular or some kind of filter based system.

Id be interested to know , as I really enjoy WOS cabs!

Hey Greggo, thank you for the kind words!

I feel like I really should write an article about the topic of dynamic, non-linear, regular/normal convolution.

So here we go:

We use in WoS III (and Torpedo Studio) a technology based on non-linear convolution. The purpose of non-linear convolution is to be able to capture and recreate DISTORTION. This is interesting for two reason: when we only keep the real sound of the speaker, we totally clean that response for any kind of distortion or added harmonics from the system that was used to capture the cabinet. And you can add it at will with the OVERLOAD parameter.

It is the same for Dynamic Convolution (patent of Syntefex:) the purpose is to switch between different IRs rapidly, and the result is... distortion again. Not more dynamics, that has nothing to do with it. Like zero. Nada.

The only effect that could be playing on dynamics could be a compressor (less dynamics) or an expander (more dynamics). But, as far as I know, it has nothing to do with speaker simulation and/or convolution algorithms.

Usually, and in my experience, that feeling of a sound that plays well with attack is most of all due to the fact that the bass response is tight and precise, it actually depends on a lot of parameters, starting with the cabinet and the studio room. ;)

Thanks for the reply that makes a lot of sense and is interesting to hear how it works and that clears up a few myths especially in relation to dynamics!

I have certainly been using the overload parameter more since reading this, definitely gives more realism to the already solid cab tone.

I think you are right about the best feeling sims coming from a tight bass response, the WOS cabs definitely have that. I find third party IR's can be a bit woofy at times. Useful in some scenerios with some basic EQ, but WOS are very tight.

We designed on purpose cabinet captures that work well and fast in a mix.

That may not be what "regular" guitarists want, but we have in mind that the guitar tone will have to fit in a mix somehow. In my opinion an excess of bass frequencies will always be filtered in the mix (and most of the time, quite heavily).

Overload is very interesting between 1 and 20%, after that it's more of a "creative" effect. ;)

Back