Reamping with LIO-8 interface - weak signal

talus1984

Hi
I am using a Two Notes Torpedo Reload reamp box, and running my DI signal into my Mic input 1 on the LIO-8. Then recording this signal in the DAW, outputting it through Analog4 Line out, it gets reamped, and comes back through Analog8 Line in.

The tone I get is less than desirable (it was perfectly fine with the ULN-2D with the exact same set up). The tone is sterile and lifeless and has a high shrill quality to it. I feel this is an issue with the strength of the signal being sent to the reamp box (i.e. Analog4 Line out for me). But when I try to adjust the output Trim, it tops out at 31.5 and hardly has any gain increase.

Does anyone know what the issue could be here? Any MH LIO-8 owners out there?

Much appreciate your assistance.

well as luck would have it, I am a dual ULN-8 user and have re-amped many times with the Reload including this article for logicProExpert http://logic-pro-expert.com/logic-pro-b ... pro-x.html.

I don't know your MIO setup, perhaps a screenshot would help but it sounds like you are boosting the heck out of basically crosstalk thus the extreme gain, lack of resolution and crappy sound.

MIO isn't always the easiest to navigate especially combined with aggrevate device...I have a pair and and patiently awaiting the 3D card.......

in the meantime, run the DI signal back through your monitor or headphones and assure it sounds correct, now re route it through output and use a headphone amp or monitor to verify that it sounds the same. From there connect it to the Reload replay in, route the replay out to the amp and using the amp traditionally (as volume allows) asure that the signal sounds like a guitar is playing through the amp....etc. until you find the issue

Thanks for your reply.
I thought it was a case of not enough signal being sent to the Torpedo for reamping rather than too much gain.

What is 'crosstalk'?

I will try the process of elimination you mention below when I'm home- thanks

I tried to go straight into my tube amp and out the Loadbox out of the Reload (ie not reamping), and have found the same issue in the tone.

What's more, the Speaker dial at the front of the Reload unit does not do anything!

Guitar -> Tube amp -> Amp speaker out -> Reload speaker in -> Loadbox out -> sound interface -> DAW.

I find it strange that this is the result because I never had this issue with the ULN-2D. The only thing that has changed is now I'm going into a LIO-8, but the Speaker dial not having any effect is a weird thing that points back to the Reload box.

The "Speaker " level control is not applicable in the setup you describe.

How are you cabled from Reload loadbox out to LIO?

Loadbox XLR out to TRS Line In on the LIO.

I thought the speaker control has automatically attenuates with the loadbox setup I described..

Speaker and Contour affect the signal that is routed on to a physical speaker cabinet if connected (speaker out on the rear).

Are you going into the 1/4" DI input on the front or via the db25's on the back?

In the second scenario, Im not doing a reamp chain. I'm simply using the Reload as a loadbox/attenuator and that's it. I wanted to see if by taking out the "DI" (ie no reamping) whether that would help.

But the tone I get is still the same, and I don't know what the culprit is (LIO or Torpedo Reload). I never had such issues with the ULN-2D & Torpedo Reload.

But in general, I'm only ever using the db25's on the back of the LIO.

This is the exact setup I had (minus the additional external cabinets).

The speaker/attenuation control should work in this scenario I thought?

Hello talus1984,

I confirm that the speaker and contour knobs have an influence exclusively on the signal sent to an optional cabinet (the two mesa cabinets on the picture you posted for example). Not on the loadbox output which is as dry and direct as possible.

If the audio interface is the only parameter that changed in your setup, well, i'd say that's where you should search for a culprit. ^^

Did you try both the microphone input and the line input on your audio interface? Do they give you the same (bad) result?

Also, Andy asked for a screenshot of your virtual mixer (MIO), that could help.

Thanks.

Sorry - brain fade. I acknowledge the speaker control only works when an external cab is connected (as an attenuator control)..

Here is what I'm hearing in my tone - the dry signal is layered underneath the actual tone of the amp which is the only thing I want to monitor. There is no dynamics in my playing and it has a heavily compressed sound when I strum or pick hard (that to me is the DI or unamped signal characteristic). This tells me all I've got to do is find a way to get the dry signal out of the monitoring path, rather than it being a gain staging issue.

My chain is..

Gtr -> Reload DI in -> Reload DI out -> LIO interface Analog1 mic in -> DAW dry track -> LIO interface Analog4 out -> Reload reamp in -> Amp -> Reload speaker in -> Reload loadbox out -> DAW wet track -> Main monitor out

And a sample of the guitar tone I'm getting with this chain:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzxm4 ... jM3LVAtcEE

Evidently, the dry signal is always in series so makes to the final monitor output - can't figure out how to remove this. Please help!

Thank you

I wish that was the issue, would be an easy fix.

But no, it's routed through to Analog4 out which goes to the Replay line in. The problem is this signal keeps on getting carried in series all the way to monitor. If there was a way to get it to some parallel routing and then mute that routing...but I'm out of ideas. ;[

Replayuln8.png

In 1 is the dry DI
In 2 is the Loadbox ourput
I bussed the dry DI in Logic to output 7-8, 8 goes to replay in
ignore the input on analog 7 that's a patching mult ....2 am it's muted anyway
WOSIII is instanciated on the loadbox strip in Logic and that goes to the main output, sounds great, no dry signal present

Andy
Thank you so much for the effort.

The only difference I can see between our setups is that I routed the DI track out through to a mono output, whereas you routed it to stereo out (Output 7-8). This gave you the flexibility to send only one side (output 8) to the Replay in.

I think *this* is where the ticket is!!

I will try this at next available opportunity.

Thanks again!

Back