Post EQ in Torpedo CAB

If you are using a preamp (fx send from an amp, rack preamp, pedal preamp), make sure that you use the 6L6 PP mode IN pentode with the presence up (presence in the two notes stuff is not typical power amp presence). Try 12 o clock or 3 o clock.

Adjust depth to taste (too much and it gets woofy)

Select cab of choice but try moving the mic away from the centre of the speaker (5 or 10%) and also try mics other than the SM57.

Once you have that sorted, cut 6kHz to taste (this will depend on the mic and cab) and cut 800Hz by about 3db

The eq is to polish at the end not do radical stuff... I suspect your fizz lays in the poweramp (the model in the CAB)

onedge custom":30ju2bsq said:
If you are using a preamp (fx send from an amp, rack preamp, pedal preamp), make sure that you use the 6L6 PP mode IN pentode with the presence up (presence in the two notes stuff is not typical power amp presence). Try 12 o clock or 3 o clock.

Adjust depth to taste (too much and it gets woofy)

Select cab of choice but try moving the mic away from the centre of the speaker (5 or 10%) and also try mics other than the SM57.

Once you have that sorted, cut 6kHz to taste (this will depend on the mic and cab) and cut 800Hz by about 3db

The eq is to polish at the end not do radical stuff... I suspect your fizz lays in the poweramp (the model in the CAB)
Thanks a lot ! Presence in CAB is %, so 3 o 'clock would be 75%, right ?

Also, if you've ever messed with real push-pull tube power OD, you'll know that too much is not a good thing (lots of odd-harmonics from the actual power tubes, in addition to the PI's contribution in non-concertina PI's etc), so too much of a good thing should be avoided.

Assuming a good input level (-3 peaks), I typically run my tube power amp sims from 8 for clean/edge-of breakup, through 20 max for compression and distortion (typically 15 - 18 for vintage Marshall sounds for example, less for higher gain preamps like my Mesa or Kittyhawk).

I use the EL34 PP a lot with the Presence maxed, and the Depth set to taste.

Great sounds in these sims, you just have to spend some time with them.

IME a lot of fizz comes from the preamp and pups too (the bright cap and plate bypass caps typically), assuming you're not killing the tube power amp sims etc.

A LPF can typically remove it better than a standard EQ band as well IMO.

Also, putting the microphone at the right place (usually non on axis) and choosing the right microphone for the sound you're aiming at helps a lot.

Back