Torpedo CAB + high gain preamp or pedal..?

ultimatemetalguitartones

I am now using my CAB through the preamp section of my mesa boogie mark III. It sounds amazing but I am looking for a nice high gain preamp - pedal to get similar results. The reason being I dont want to constantly turn on - off my amp. Do you think I should go with a preamp instead of a pedal? Some folks told me that a high gain pedal wont sound as good as a preamp. Any suggestions - inout would be awesome! Thx

High gain pedals don't seem to work...

I tried an MXR 5150 and a Bogner Burnly with the CAB... rubbish. Thin, lacked punch, just not good

When I use with with an Atomic Amplifire (AA cab sims off), it's excellent

I don't have any other preamp pedals but the above, I think gives you the answer...

The power amp simulation section is expressly designed to round out the sound when using just a pre-amp. By matching the gain, tube type, and the shaping controls, it can be very versatile. If you are having trouble, switch to "Arcade" mode whee the interface is much more simple without any sonic compromise.

Obviously, with the tremendous array of pedals on the market, there's no guarantee that every single one will sound great with a Torpedo but with a little tweaking, you should be able to get great results. The only exception in my view is if one is using a tube screamer style pedal set to boost the front end of an amp as if this is used straight into the CAB, there is not the overdrive effect originally desired. Slution is then to cascade into a second pedal in front of the CAB

Back