May have fried my Torpedo Studio but initial indications OK

talus1984

After around 20 minutes or so of playing, I smelt a really very burning smell coming from the Torpedo Studio unit. Then what sounded like an audible snap and the 'Remote' software lost connection.

I assume this was some safety mechanism to protect the unit. But I'm still quite concerned due to the burning smell - does that mean unequivocally that something is screwed?
I turned my whole system off for a while and switched the Studio unit back on, it seemed to be working/navigating fine but I did not play through it again. Now (the next day) the burning smell is gone).

What are the safety mechanisms built in to the Torpedo Studio - a fuse (could not find anything in the manual about this)? A master safety off switch?

Things definitely got heated. Should I be worried or just seeing if the unit is behaving as normal and then move on??

Thank you for your help.

Hi Talus,

well if the Torpedo switched to security and is back to normal after cooling down, I'd say there is no big deal.

The smell can come simply from the dissipating system in the unit when pushed hard but I wouldn't worry too much.

I see you left a message on the Help Desk, the engineer team will help you with that.

On a side note, I don't really see why you would want to push the power amp in the Kemper, it's a linear amp and is not supposed to distort or anything, so I'd rather use the line out and no power at all or just moderate power if you find it to bring something in the sound.

Hi there - thanks for the reply.

So the Unit switches itself to safety automatically to prevent damage?? If this is the case I can't really damage it can I?

Well if there is nothing broken inside (shake the box just in case ^^) and the unit behaves nicely, you should't have broken anything.

Back