How to copy Wall of Sound presets from one PC to the other

Steff

Hello everybody,

simple situation:

I have been using Wall of Sound on Computer 1 and have already created some cool presets.
Now I am setting up Computer 2 and want to transfer these presets to the Wall of Sound installation on Computer 2.

The whole thing seems much more complicated than expected:

1) To get the old presets to the new computer, I first created a dummy preset to see where and how the presets are stored.
I found out it was at C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\presets\vst-Torpedo Wall Of Sound (x64)

Knowing where the correct directory is, I then copied the old preset file "vst-Torpedo Wall Of Sound III (x64)" to the same place.
Nothing happened, the file with the old presets was not read.
So I renamed the old file with the name of the new one and finally had WoS open the old presets on the new computer.

2) So, I can open the old presets.
BUT: When I now open these old presets on Computer 2, I get error messages because the presets contain user impulses and the directory for these impulses has changed from Computer 1 to Computer 2.
I tried to simply go to "Menu > Select user impulse directory..." and change the path to the correct new directory but this doesn't help.
The user impulses are still not found.

3) In order to make it work, I simply recreated the directory structure from Computer 1 to Computer 2, creating four levels of folders with the sole purpose of making WoS find the user impulses.

4) BUT: When I now open an old preset that includes a user impulse, I get another error message:
"Warning! This file is not present in the user impulses directory" and the output is completely blocked (in other words: there is no sound at all).

5) I tried to reopen these user impulses by clicking on them and opening them again at "Users", trying both the new user impulse directory and the other one that is the same path as on Computer 1.
But no chance. No sound at all.

So I am at my wits end.

How can I copy presets from one computer to the other?
Does it only work if both computers have the exact same folder structure?
Or how can I make the adaptions needed?

Hi Steff,

WoS get a simpler feature to do that: WoS preset.
You can save a preset (as a .top file) by clicking on the save button. Then copy/load this preset on the second computer.

If you are using Two notes cabinets everything is automatic.

If you are using 3-party IR, you have to keep in mind that IR's full path is stored in the WoS preset or in Reaper project.
So you indeed have to recreate the folder structure to make it work (or manually reload all IR)

Bastien-Twonotes":8w86sk8s said:
Hi Steff,
WoS get a simpler feature to do that: WoS preset.
You can save a preset (as a .top file) by clicking on the save button. Then copy/load this preset on the second computer.

It is true, so far I was saving my presets not with the Save button but with the "save preset..." functionality of my DAW (Reaper).
I will try with the Save button and see if it works better.

Bastien-Twonotes":8w86sk8s said:
Hi Steff,
If you are using 3-party IR, you have to keep in mind that IR's full path is stored in the WoS preset or in Reaper project.
So you indeed have to recreate the folder structure to make it work (or manually reload all IR)

What do you mean with "manually reload all IR"?
I am still searching for a way to guide Wall of Sound to the right IRs.
Changing the preset IR directory or clicking on individual IR and reopening them in the right IR directory doesn't seem to have any effect on old presets.

Steff":3eqf0x7t said:
What do you mean with "manually reload all IR"?
I am still searching for a way to guide Wall of Sound to the right IRs.
Changing the preset IR directory or clicking on individual IR and reopening them in the right IR directory doesn't seem to have any effect on old presets.

I mean "clicking on individual IR and reopening them" :)
If you set up the the proper IR directory it should work. If it doesn't try with the new WoS (http://www.two-notes.com/en/wall-of-sound) version. We've corrected several issues regarding IRs.

Hi Steff,

i'm not sure you guys understand each other, I'll try: on your old presets, the path (meaning the "address") of where the IRs is stored on the first computer) was SAVED.

Meaning, if your IRs on the new computer are not at the exact same address (lets say"c:/mydocuments/IR"), WoS can't find them alone.

Changing the IR directory in WoS will work if you build new presets, not with the old ones.

My advice: put your IRs folder at the same address and that should solve the issue. If you already did that (in that case please tell us what is the address), you may have found a bug or something, we'll need you to create a ticket on the help desk so the developers can help you. ;)

guillaume_pille":1x9pu2lw said:
(...)
My advice: put your IRs folder at the same address and that should solve the issue. If you already did that (in that case please tell us what is the address), you may have found a bug or something, we'll need you to create a ticket on the help desk so the developers can help you. ;)

I will have to check what happens if I save presets with the save button on the WoS interface.
So far I (wrongly) used the save option of my DAW (Reaper). With this, it does not work as you describe.

Even if I put the IR files in the right address, I get an error message "Warning! This file is not present in the user impulse directory".
When I then click on the IR file and manually reopen it, the error message disappears but nothing else changes.

In both cases, with error message or without, I have no sound at all.
The one missing file mutes WoS and this mutes the complete signal flow of that track.

So again, I will have to save some of the old presets with the other save option and then try again (can't do that right now, as I am away from that computer).

I will have to check what happens if I save presets with the save button on the WoS interface.

That is definitely the way to go.

Still, having no sound (mute) with WoS is something else, kinda strange to me. Does the regular Two notes cabinets have sound? Like, after you manually load an IR, if you switch to a Two notes cabinet, is it still muted?

Back