Torpedo CAB + preamp pairing

madseason

I've recently tried going to a more portable, simpler solution. The goal was to find a way to replace my amp and run direct. I love my pedalboard with all my OD pedals, modulation, time-based stuff etc... so I wanted to keep the board in tact but find something to take the place of the amp. I decided to try the Le Clean Preamp Pedal paired with the Torpedo CAB. I love the idea of simplifying my setup and leaving the amp at home but I'm a little weary with the tone I'm getting. The CAB is awesome and I'm really happy with this piece of gear. The Le Clean is where I'm not so impressed. Even paired with the power amp of the CAB it just seems thin. I was hoping I could pair it with a tube screamer or another drive pedal and get something I could be happy with. I'm starting to think the Le Clean isn't for me. Does anyone on here use a similar setup with the CAB and a preamp pedal? I really want to keep using the CAB as I think it has great speaker simulation. I'm basically trying to find a replacement for the Le Clean or to maybe go to something like the Quilter Tone Block. It's all a bit confusing to me lol. I would appreciate any suggestions. thx!

guillaume_pille":2r60y6dz said:
What would be the type of amp that you prefer? Le Clean is more in the Fender area, maybe you just need something else. ;)

No it's not another amp sound that I need. My main amp is a 65 DRRI. Fender tones are what I'm after and have played for years. I know it's a bit unfair to think that a pedal and cab sim box could delivery what an amp gives me. I just need to spend some more time with the Le Clean and experiment with the different settings. Time will tell but I would just like other options if this doesn't pan out.

OK so maybe some tips:

on the torpedo CAB power amp, pick some PP 6L6 (you need to be in simulation mode to do that) and push presence and depth to the max. Then decrease depth to set the bass response you want.

Pick a microphone that will sound warm enough for your tastes, i'd go with a ribbon and a Fender cabinet 1x12 or 2x12.

Back