Getting muffled tones with the Torpedo CAB

bryansum

Hey folks,

I've been getting rather muffled tones with my Torpedo CAB and I'd like some advice on how to improve on them. I don't have much experience with recording, but the tone seems rather muffled and distant to me. I've linked a short clip on soundcloud (since the board attachment quota is reached), just the recorded tone without any EQ or other plug-ins.

https://soundcloud.com/bryan-sum-976464 ... ue/s-uTc0O

Here's my signal chain:

Guitar -> Compression, Overdrive/Distortion pedals -> Suhr Corso Amp -> Torpedo C.A.B -> Strymon Timeline -> Scarlett 2i2 -> Logic Pro X

Torpedo Settings:

Power Amp Off
Mic/Cab settings: Kerozen, Dyn 57, Distance 2%, Center 2%, Position Front
EQ: 120Hz -2 dB, 360Hz -1 dB, 800Hz 0dB, 2000Hz 1 dB, 6000Hz 1 dB

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Bryan,

may I ask how you connect the Corso into the Torpedo C.A.B.? You're not using the speaker out of the amp, right?

I don't find the tone that muffled, but to open the sound, usually here are the tricks:

- use a bright mic (condenser or dynamic, not ribbon). You could try the Condenser87 for example.
- stay close to the center of the speaker
- use 2x12 or 1x12 instead of 4x12
- maybe a little bit of room reverb in the CAB could help

And of course tweak the amp and pedals but I don't know enough the ones you're using. and it's not wrong to do a little bit of EQ during recording, it happens in the mix or live pretty much all the time. ;)

guillaume_pille":1dgs0tc0 said:
Hi Bryan,

may I ask how you connect the Corso into the Torpedo C.A.B.? You're not using the speaker out of the amp, right?

I don't find the tone that muffled, but to open the sound, usually here are the tricks:

- use a bright mic (condenser or dynamic, not ribbon). You could try the Condenser87 for example.

And of course tweak the amp and pedals but I don't know enough the ones you're using. and it's not wrong to do a little bit of EQ during recording, it happens in the mix or live pretty much all the time. ;)

Thanks for the reply and the tips - will try them out. Good to hear that the base tone doesn't actually seem too muffled (I'm sure you're experienced with this!)

I'm using the line out from the Corso head since its compensated, right into the input of the torpedo.

If the line out is compensated, that typically means it has some analog cab sim circuit already (typically a high end roll-off), so you're in effect having two cabs when you add the CAB's. This would be muffled for sure.

Try using a non-compensated line out (turn off the compensation, or a preamp out/fx send etc).

bryansum":o679rwt0 said:
guillaume_pille":o679rwt0 said:
Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the reply and the tips - will try them out. Good to hear that the base tone doesn't actually seem too muffled (I'm sure you're experienced with this!)

I'm using the line out from the Corso head since its compensated, right into the input of the torpedo.

djd100":3tg9kwyh said:
If the line out is compensated, that typically means it has some analog cab sim circuit already (typically a high end roll-off), so you're in effect having two cabs when you add the CAB's. This would be muffled for sure.

Try using a non-compensated line out (turn off the compensation, or a preamp out/fx send etc).

bryansum":3tg9kwyh said:
guillaume_pille":3tg9kwyh said:
Hi Bryan,

Made a mistake in my previous post, realized it wasn't compensated!

Your sample sounds like a good guitar tone to me. If you had too much more high end it might sound shrilly or ice-picky, for lack of a better description. Barring any actual technical issues I may not be be aware of, here are some things that might help:

- Turn down your overdrive gain and turn up your overdrive tone (for more midrange hump and less clarity loss due to heavy low end)
- Use your bridge pickup for more high harmonic sound
- Turn down your compressor gain, sometimes they are more responsive to low end and that can squash your attack and make it wooly sounding
- Low cut your lowest frequencies on the Torpedo CAB. I find that -20 dB on 120Hz has been working well for my setup, although that might be extreme for some tones.

Back