Different cabinet configurations with the same amp

Blues101

Hello,

I've been trying different speaker combinations with my Engl Screamer 50 watt combo and my Two Notes Torpedo Studio.

The speaker I like the most is "Alichino", a Vintage 30 which is the same that comes with the Engl Screamer in the combo.

Does it make sense to use 4x12 with the Screamer 50 or a Fender Blues Junior?. I normally find that using a 4x12 sounds too muddy with these amps...

I have discovered that the Blues Junior sounds great with some 2x12 cabinets too! Specially the PinnacleHI, SilverJen, Silver77, Rock Soul 2, Sig M75 and H75.

All the best!

You can use any cab with any amp, but note that most amps are somewhat voiced for thier own cabs, so if you're trying to mimick a amp consider trying cabs/speaker siumilar to what they shipped with.

Fenders typically have a fat bottom end as they're typically shipped in open combo cabs. Marshall heads on the other hand are typically a bit lighter on the bottom as they ship with closed cabs etc.

The cab/speaker/mic is a huge component of any amp's sonic signiture (in many cases, the biggest!), so keep that in mind too.

No rules though, you what you like!

Blues101":1onp41xh said:
Hello,

I've been trying different speaker combinations with my Engl Screamer 50 watt combo and my Two Notes Torpedo Studio.

The speaker I like the most is "Alichino", a Vintage 30 which is the same that comes with the Engl Screamer in the combo.

Does it make sense to use 4x12 with the Screamer 50 or a Fender Blues Junior?. I normally find that using a 4x12 sounds too muddy with these amps...

I have discovered that the Blues Junior sounds great with some 2x12 cabinets too! Specially the PinnacleHI, SilverJen, Silver77, Rock Soul 2, Sig M75 and H75.

All the best!

Back