Torpedo Reload conflicts with...stompboxes!!!!

Nick1410

Hello!

I've just purchased a brand new Torpedo reload, connected it properly to my 50 watt amp and 1x12 cab. When I started playing on gain channel I heard really wierd whistle or squeal from cab. My signal chain was guitar->stompboxes->amp->amp effects loop with another stompboxes->Torpedo Reload ->cab. Then I left only guitar->amp->Torpedo Reload ->cab , and there was no noise at all...I've connected one stompbox - squeal came back...I've switced stombox - squeal was there again. I've switched power supply - squeal.
Only Torpedo reload - no noise.
Only stomboxes - no noise.
Reload+stompboxes - noise!!!
I'm desoperate((

Any thoughts?...

are you getting squealing (high pitched feedback) or noise (like 60 cycle hum/ ground loop)?

You may be adding just enough gain to cause some electro magnetic coupling between the guitar, amp and reload in some combination.... try playing further away from the amp and/or moving the reload a few feet away too.

Is your effects loop operating at unity gain? ie is the signal the same volume when you unplug the loop?

Have tried to play with the ground switches on the back of the reload (if the issue is hum, not squealing)

Are you using a proper speaker cable from amp to Reload and Reload to Cabinet?

does the problem also occur when a battery is used in the connecte pedal (if applicable)

lots of question but these will help solve the issue more quickly

Thanks for reply!

sysexguy":5rw8kk51 said:
are you getting squealing (high pitched feedback) or noise (like 60 cycle hum/ ground loop)?
No, it's not like feedback, it's like cycling noise, but also like whistle).

You may be adding just enough gain to cause some electro magnetic coupling between the guitar, amp and reload in some combination.... try playing further away from the amp and/or moving the reload a few feet away too.
No, gain level on the amp is far less then 12 o'clock. And the point is, that there is no noise at all without pedals in chain.
I've tried to move reload across the room, though it's not quite big.

Is your effects loop operating at unity gain? ie is the signal the same volume when you unplug the loop?
The volume is the same.

Have tried to play with the ground switches on the back of the reload (if the issue is hum, not squealing)
Mybe it could help, but there is no ground switches for amp and speaker inputs only for DI, loadbox and replay.

Are you using a proper speaker cable from amp to Reload and Reload to Cabinet?
I'm using regular acustic cables.

does the problem also occur when a battery is used in the connecte pedal (if applicable)
Did't check yet. I'll do it bit later.

lots of question but these will help solve the issue more quickly
Thank you for your help.

Hi Nick,

I'm using regular acustic cables.

Ok, speaker and instrument cables are 2 different things:

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2010/07/19/cables-101-instrument-vs-speaker-cables/

But I don't really see why that would cause feedback to be honest.

Best in every case is to add pedals one by one to figure out when you get the issue.

Also, don't stack stuff on the Reload (the amp or the pedals), sometimes the electronic fields gets disturbed which can cause some unwanted side effects.

guillaume_pille":23sku5p3 said:
Hi Nick,

Ok, speaker and instrument cables are 2 different things:

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2010/07/19/cables-101-instrument-vs-speaker-cables/
Thank you for info.

But I don't really see why that would cause feedback to be honest.
It's not like a feedback.

Best in every case is to add pedals one by one to figure out when you get the issue.
I've tried different pedals, no difference in noise.

Also, don't stack stuff on the Reload (the amp or the pedals), sometimes the electronic fields gets disturbed which can cause some unwanted side effects.
Yes, Reload is not on the amp, it's standing separately, on the wooden table)

I've tried different pedals, no difference in noise.

Do you mean that if you add only ONE pedal, whatever it is, in front or in the loop, the noise is here?

If that is the case it look like a defective cable or a problem with the pedal PSU.

That's a very weird one, and I've seen plenty ha ha.

guillaume_pille":19l2u0qr said:
Do you mean that if you add only ONE pedal, whatever it is, in front or in the loop, the noise is here?
Yes, exactly.

If that is the case it look like a defective cable or a problem with the pedal PSU.
I'be tried different cables, moreover I'be tried to use a power cell Warta to power up pedals, but noise is still there.

That's a very weird one, and I've seen plenty ha ha.
You know, I'm absolutely frustrated by that issue, 'cos the sound of Reload with my app is freaking awesome...but I can't say goodbye to all my rig.

So, guys, thanx for your help and for you are willing to help. I really appreciate that.
And my issue came to good, happy end)))
I called an electrician, and he checked circuit in my apartment.
The problem was in awful ground loop in my power sockets.
He fixed it. And now I'm very very happy with Torpedo Reload and all of my rest gear))
Thank you, again.

Back