Help needed: MIDI control of Le Lead, Le Clean, Torpedo CAB

mhoyledesign

I'm using Ableton Live to run the backing tracks of my band, and I created some MIDI tracks as well to control my pedalboard.

The issue that I'm having is with external MIDI I have to manually send the PC command to bypass the Le Pre I'm switching away from, but the Torpedo CAB is not ignoring this PC command and is instead switching to the preset on that PC (specifically PC 5 and PC 15, which correspond to Le Clean bypass and Le Lead bypass).

When using the built-in foot switches seems to have no issue. With external MIDI If I'm sending PC 4 and PC 15 at the same time the Torpedo CAB should ignore PC 15 because I'm obviously trying to switch to hot fusion on Le Clean... Are there PC commands I'm not aware of that won't switch the Torpedo CAB to the wrong preset?

Each midi command can be assigned to a channel from 1 to 16 or omni mode in which the channel setting is ignored.

It sounds like you just need to assign the CAB to a different channel and edit your settings that send the commands to correspond.

The reason that that won't work for me unfortunately is that I don't want a pedalboard that only works when controlled by a computer. Being able to use the built-in functionality of them all midi linked together independent of a computer is half the reason that I wanted to go with this system. If they all responded to different channels then they wouldn't be able to speak to each other independent of the computer.

I feel like someone at Two Notes must have noticed this issue when they were developing these things and have an easy solution

I'm here and there is no problem with the midi implentation of these products.

I still need to understand what commands you are sending.... are you bypassing both pedals or switching in hot fusion? Is the CAB supposed to stay on the same preset or also go to bypass?

Are you sending these from Ableton or the pedals themselves?

I am sure we can solve this for you in no time so please bear with these questions if they seem rudimentary :)

sysexguy":39sd85g2 said:
I'm here and there is no problem with the midi implentation of these products.

I still need to understand what commands you are sending.... are you bypassing both pedals or switching in hot fusion? Is the CAB supposed to stay on the same preset or also go to bypass?

Are you sending these from Ableton or the pedals themselves?

I am sure we can solve this for you in no time so please bear with these questions if they seem rudimentary :)

Oh, I didn't know you worked for TN! My bad. Thanks for helping here.

I have the computer, Le Lead, Le Clean, and Torpedo CAB all daisy-chained via MIDI cables. When I don't use the computer I just press the foot switches and it works just fine in multi-channel mode, where only one preamp channel at a time will be on. The Torpedo CAB switches presets here just like it should. However in Ableton Live when I want to, say, turn off the Le Clean and turn on the Le Lead, I have to send PC 5 to turn off the Le Clean, and if the Torpedo CAB gets that after it receives the PC 11/12/13/14 that I might use to turn on the Le Lead then the Torpedo CAB thinks I want it to use preset #5, corresponding to the PC 5 command. Does that make sense? The CAB has a preset I tailored for every single channel on my Le Pres (Clean A, Clean B, Clean Cold, Clean Hot, Lead A, Lead B, Lead Cold, Lead Hot).

just to confirm, the midi cable that connects between the lelead and the leclean is a cable with all five pins connected.... for example, Roland and Hosa midi cables have 5 pins connected, proco's do not. You can test this with a voltmeter/continuity tester as well.

your midi chain is computer-->lecleanin lecleanout<-->leleadin leleadout-->cab?

what happens to LeClean when you send just PC15 from Abelton? It shoudl clear the LeClean and select the LeLead.

My pedal board with everything midi is in transit on the way back from Gearfest so as soon as I have it, I can emulate your setup and we'll get this sorted.

sysexguy":2mgwjlzw said:
just to confirm, the midi cable that connects between the lelead and the leclean is a cable with all five pins connected.... for example, Roland and Hosa midi cables have 5 pins connected, proco's do not. You can test this with a voltmeter/continuity tester as well.

Yes. Multi-channel mode works just fine when not using the computer. The Le Lead and Le Clean disable each other when engaged, meaning it's using the extra 2 pins. I'm using Hosa MIDI cables.

your midi chain is computer-->lecleanin lecleanout<-->leleadin leleadout-->cab?

Yes. They are daisy-chained.

what happens to LeClean when you send just PC15 from Abelton? It shoudl clear the LeClean and select the LeLead.

PC 15 is the command to disable Le Lead. If I send this, it will disable Le Lead and not do anything to Le Clean.

If I sent PC 11, PC 12, PC 13, or PC 14, it will turn on one of the 4 channels of Le Lead and not do anything at all to Le Clean.

To reiterate, multi-channel mode works just fine when using the built-in footswitches. The issue is that multi-channel mode isn't working when using external MIDI, so I have to send the PC commands that specifically disable one Le Pre or the other.

My pedal board with everything midi is in transit on the way back from Gearfest so as soon as I have it, I can emulate your setup and we'll get this sorted.

Okay, cool. Thanks for the help.

mhoyledesign":187qdijb said:
(specifically PC 5 and PC 15, which correspond to Le Clean bypass and Le Lead bypass).

The solution is to set Le Clean to bypass on PC15. This can be done through the MIDI learn menu.

This way, PC15 will at the same time bypass Le Clean, engage Le Lead, and set preset 15 on the CAB.

I read a little too fast, sorry. Just change some numbers and it will work :

mhoyledesign":1cqkxatt said:
With external MIDI If I'm sending PC 4 and PC 15 at the same time the Torpedo CAB should ignore PC 15 because I'm obviously trying to switch to hot fusion on Le Clean...

In this situation, set Le Lead to go into bypass on PC4, and just send PC4. The CAB will go into preset 4, Le Clean into Hot Fusion, and Le Lead in bypass.

Basstyra":1uihbbi7 said:
I read a little too fast, sorry. Just change some numbers and it will work :

mhoyledesign":1uihbbi7 said:
With external MIDI If I'm sending PC 4 and PC 15 at the same time the Torpedo CAB should ignore PC 15 because I'm obviously trying to switch to hot fusion on Le Clean...

In this situation, set Le Lead to go into bypass on PC4, and just send PC4. The CAB will go into preset 4, Le Clean into Hot Fusion, and Le Lead in bypass.

I feel dumb, this makes perfect sense! I have not tried programming these pedals before but when I read the manual I was under the impression that you can program messages for A, B, Cold and Hot fusion but I didn't think you could program the messages for bypass. I'll give this a shot this weekend, thank you!

Back