C.A.B. Overload question

roverdog

I just received my C.A.B. and am using it with ADA MP-1 pre-amp. I am then going into the PA.

I was testing out the C.A.B. presets with one MP-1 preset. I noticed that some CAB presets had the CLIP LED come on while others seemed fine. Again the signal coming out of the MP-1 never changed.

The input switch was set to LINE. What could have caused the CLIP to come on on some CAB presets but not others? I don't seem to be hearing any digital distortion when the CLIP light does come on, but I wasn't using the cleanest setting on the MP-1!

Thanks

the overload indicator is indeed affected by input level but is also dependant of the patch parameters that may aggregate to cause clipping. You may try reducing the preamp output level to make even the most sensitive patch not clip or better yet, find the level that makes the majority of the patches sound best (and not clip) and then go and edit and resave the offending patches in the CAB. Since the CAB can be used with so many devices on the market, there's no way to pre-program every last patch to be 100% clip proof... Once you get a handle on the edit and store process, you'll have all this fixed in no time.

Inside each patch, the suspects would be a) power amp sim volume b) eq if bands have exaggerated boosts, c) the patch output level.

The CAB also has a global output level and you should start with taht at or around 0dB

It would be interesting to know before anything if it's the input or the output clipping. It is written on the CAB display when it's happening.

The overload indicator is quite conservative, you'll have to push it VERY hard to hear distortion.

Hi Guillaume. Mine's also clipping. My signa path is: pedalboard > amp> line out from power soak/attenuator>DI>CAB. Is there a setting in the device where the unit can accept speaker level signal?

If you want to deal with signal level you need to upgrade to our bigger units, Torpedo Live or studio, or buy a Captor and feed its signal into the CAB.

If the CAB is clipping at the input, switch its input to LINE, and lower the level of the power soak, or find a DI with a PAD. ;)

Back