Torpedo captor

Bigshredder

Hi guys :)
I have owned a torpedo live unit for two years now with my mesa dual rectifier and it is the best gear ever. Now I just bought a used peavey 6505 head to record with as a layer with the rectifier. So I pull the speaker cable from one amp and hook it up to the other amp. But since I have all my rack gear and amps in a shelf it is kinda of a hassle to reach and pull cables and stuff. So I was in the making of building an patchbay so I can switch between the two amps easily (one amp on at a time and both off when switching) but then I realized that the live unit has a line in and I remembered asking before if I could use the speaker in and line in at the same time and there is no way to use them together. But I hooked up my guitar straight into the line in and played and was able to get sound from the guitar while the amp is connected to the speaker in. Does the line in disable the speaker in? Or if I turn my amp on will the live unit feel the load and only use the speaker in path?
Why I am asking is because I was thinking of buying an torpedo captor to use as an loadbox to one amp and then use the line out/line in between the captor and live for one amp. Get it, haha? So that one amp is connected to the speaker in always and the other to the captor (that way both amps is being loaded off always) and then I can just turn one anmp of and the other amp on and just switch programs patches without having to deal with high current cable switching. I know that the captor and live only has 100w load and the 6505 is 120w but I push the preamp hard and the power amp less so I am using very little volume and power.
Hope this works cuz then I will buy the captor :)
Cheers!

Hi Bigshredder (what a nickname! ^^),

Does the line in disable the speaker in? Or if I turn my amp on will the live unit feel the load and only use the speaker in path?

With a jack in the Line in, the connection between the loadbox and the converter is bypassed. If you have an amp connected it will still see the loadbox, but no sound will go into the Torpedo processing.

What you wanna do is kinda tricky with a Torpedo Live, it's possible with a Studio where you can actually have one amp on the loadbox and the other in Line (with Captor), use them both at the same time (one per channel) or separately, as the input switch is done form the SETUP menu.

With Live I'm afraid you'll always have to connect the amp you want into the speaker input and put the other to sleep in the mean time.

In our studio we use an Ampete switcher to do that function but it's definitely not a cheap solution (way more expensive than a Torpedo Studio), but we have more than 12 different amp heads to switch.

Don"'t worry about the 120W on the Peavey, it's all about being reasonable with that much power, but you understand it already. ;)

Ok :)
Thanks for your reply:) the support to your customer is brilliant as always.
I have gotten tips fron rig builders that a custom patch bay is the easiest way to go but I'm starting to think that I should rearrange the setup so I can reach the speaker cable without hassle and just unplugged and plugg.
Thanks again:)
Cheers!

What's important if you have a custom rig designed, is to ensure that your amps always see a suitable load.

Or you would need some discipline to power them on only when you need them (and off when you don't), but that's definitely possible.

Back