Input and Gain Question

Hello Forums,

I have a Torpedo Live and a Steinberg UR22 audio interface ( no Spdif ) and I was wondering which inputs I should increase. I feel like I really have to crank my UR22 output to get a decent volume when playing guitar through my monitors. Is there a general rule for the input level of the torpedo live? Should I go as close to clip as possible or stay like -12? Should I have my amp louder and turn down the input on the live to get a better tone? When it comes to my UR22 I have the Live going into input 1 with a TRS cable, should I use gain on the input or keep that channel gain low and crank the output of the unit?

I hope this all makes sense lol. Im really unsure about all of this so I wanted to hear from some of you experienced users on the forums lol.

Hi Darcy2386@gmail.com,

do not push the Live input over what we recommend (yellow led), and you can push hard the output, but make sure you don't overload your soundcard input. It's not a problem either to raise the level on the line input un your soundcard but do not push it too hard as I think it must not be of very high quality on the type of soundcard.

A normal average level in your soundcard should be around -18 / -16dB FS (dB FS is the type of level you get from your sound card mixer if there is one, or in your sequencer).

guillaume_pille":30yymnld said:
Hi Darcy2386@gmail.com,

do not push the Live input over what we recommend (yellow led), and you can push hard the output, but make sure you don't overload your soundcard input. It's not a problem either to raise the level on the line input un your soundcard but do not push it too hard as I think it must not be of very high quality on the type of soundcard.

A normal average level in your soundcard should be around -18 / -16dB FS (dB FS is the type of level you get from your sound card mixer if there is one, or in your sequencer).

Thanks for the reply Guillaume, in regards to the live input is it better to crank my amp volume and lower the input knob remaining in the green led ? Or have the amp volume lower and the input increased ? As for my soundcard I am basically turning up the gain on the channel until it peaks / clips and then I am backing off until I see no more clips.

I am not really sure how to see the dB for my soundcard, would recording guitar in Cubase and checking the dB there be the equivalent to what you said? Basically the input volume for that audio track? sorry I hope im explaining this properly

Back