Torpedo Live power cutting out

dazj73

Hi all new forum user here.

I've recently got round to buying a Torpedo live. I have a major issue with it though, it's turning itself off, fortunately i'm able to get to my amp (Marshall 2555 Silver Jubilee reissue) before the amp decides to blow up with the lack of a load, this seems to happen randomly after 5 to 10 minutes of playing.

my signal chain is
amp speaker 8 ohm out > torpedo 8 ohm in >torpedo line out to focusrite clarett 2pre then off to the iMac and logic pro x.

I'm using Torpedo remote for live playing and WoS in the DAW.

I have had the same issue when just using headphones on the torpedo without going to the interface.

After the Torpedo live has cut out it can take a few minutes to get it to come back on it then seems to function normally and I can play for hours.

Anyone got any ideas what is going on as I'm concerned that I'm going to start blowing transformers and tubes?

Thanks
Darren

First, no worries about having amp plugged in to non powered Live unit, it has a safety load for such cases as when it shuts itself for overheating for example.

This looks like Live is overheating maybe? Because it comes back after a while after it's cooled down?
http://support.two-notes.com/knowledgeb ... article=57

The TORPEDO Live embeds a temperature-monitoring system and an active security load to prevent any and all damage that might be caused to either user or product by overheating or by some improper use of the TORPEDO Live with a guitar or bass amplifier.

When the TORPEDO Live is OFF, the loadbox is not running, the Speaker Input is wired to a 220-Ohm security load.

When the TORPEDO Live is ON, an active switch relay activates the loadbox so the amplifier "sees" the nominal 8-Ohm reactive loadbox. The DC impedance of the reactive loadbox is set around 25 Ohms

guillaume_pille":2k3hnlhy said:
Darren, do you mean you don't have sound anymore or the unit screen goes off like it's not powered up anymore?

The entire unit shuts down including the screen

TTerror":rnia6xuh said:
First, no worries about having amp plugged in to non powered Live unit, it has a safety load for such cases as when it shuts itself for overheating for example.

This looks like Live is overheating maybe? Because it comes back after a while after it's cooled down?

The TORPEDO Live embeds a temperature-monitoring system and an active security load to prevent any and all damage that might be caused to either user or product by overheating or by some improper use of the TORPEDO Live with a guitar or bass amplifier.

When the TORPEDO Live is OFF, the loadbox is not running, the Speaker Input is wired to a 220-Ohm security load.

When the TORPEDO Live is ON, an active switch relay activates the loadbox so the amplifier "sees" the nominal 8-Ohm reactive loadbox. The DC impedance of the reactive loadbox is set around 25 Ohms

Good to hear there is a safety net...i still reach for the standby and power switches of the amp.

overheating is little bit difficult to convince myself due to the unit dying with 5 minutes then when i am able to turn it back on I can play for a couple of hours.

Ok, if you're 100% certain the power cord is properly inserted and you've tried another wall outlet, that could be a failure of the internal PSU. That's rare, but it can always happen.

If your product is under warranty, you need to ask for a repair/replace to your store, it doesn't hurt to send us a message on the Two notes Help desk with your invoice so we can follow up with the distributor in your country.

Thanks guillaume_pille

I will try another wall outlet, I think I might of found part of the cause, in that I had to give the speaker cable a little push into the unit when it turned itself off last night, the cable plug was already fully inserted so I think I might have a faulty speaker cable, even though it is new, so will try that 1st, the unit is definitely under warranty as it is only 2 weeks old

Thanks, will definitely try a new speaker cable 1st but will be this weekend as i'm crazy busy this week so won't get chance to try.

Just tried it now and there is no power to the unit, it won't turn on do I contact my dealer or two notes directly to get a replacement.

You need to contact your dealer, who will contact us, send us a message on the Help Desk with your invoice so we can follow from our side, we are not in direct contact with dealer, our distributor is in charge.

So a courier is picking up the faulty unit and dropping off it's replacement tomorrow, which then begs the question what happens with registered products as I will then have 2 Torpedo lives registered one of which would probably be repaired then bought by a new customer.

received the replacement unit this morning connected up and powered on not used it for anytime yet but will do tonight, not even turned my amp on yet so hoping all goes well, will report back if any issues arise

TTerror":2mk1ykj8 said:

Hi,

Could you please confirm if the Torpedo Studio has this same safety (shut down/load) feature? Thanks.

Just played for a hour and a half with no issues, Thanks for the help and that Andertons were able to swap the unit quickly without too much hassle

So a courier is picking up the faulty unit and dropping off it's replacement tomorrow, which then begs the question what happens with registered products as I will then have 2 Torpedo lives registered one of which would probably be repaired then bought by a new customer.

The new owner just has to claim ownership when registering the new unit, you'll receive an automatic email asking if you are still the owner, just don't do anything and everything will be alright. ;)

Could you please confirm if the Torpedo Studio has this same safety (shut down/load) feature? Thanks.

Torpedo Studio as a security, but to avoid any confusion: that wasn't the issue that we were talking about here. The thermal security will cut the sound, not power off the unit.

Back