What's better than one Torpedo Live?

TTerror

Two of them! Well, if you forget about the Studio version I guess :D

So I saw this Live unit at local adds at ridiculous price and after quick thought I decided to go for it as backup or dedicated gig unit. Then I realized...what if I use second one as a load via through jack on the first Live? Guillaume was quick to reply to my messages, and he is awesome for that, and confirmed my evil plan. You can stack as many Live units as you wish, the last one is the actual amp load always. :)

So naturally, I stacked them and have this kind of Mad Max Torpedo Studio setup. I use one Live with a room mic and other one as close mic and it sounds glorious. The real "in the room" stereo kind of sound on headphones is just beyond amazing. I am still tweaking it but even at this stage it is ridiculous good sound. Add some stereo reverb from GM2 and slight EQ tweak for the cleans sounds...and that's it!

20koopl.jpg

t6pmoo.jpg

I was debating on selling my life towards a Studio or adding a 2nd Live- this allowing 2amps to track at the same time

Hmmmm

miniboogee":3ms10zxd said:
Cool! Do you double latency with a second Live?

Haven't noticed any increased latency, I guess the "THROUGH" signal path doesn't go in to the converters at all. :confused:
In perfect world...would still get the Studio for ease of use, but this setup works very nicely and the price for second Torpedo was ridiculous.

It is really amazing the difference one room mic makes in the headphones sound, it feels like you are there with that cab...and it's blasting at you.

When playing on monitors I use 2 close microphones hard panned, glorious plexi sounds. I got rid of all my drive pedals, and effects I have on GM2 if needed, but mostly it's SG....Plexi...bit of reverb on GM2...Headphones.

Haven't noticed any increased latency, I guess the "THROUGH" signal path doesn't go in to the converters at all.

The THRU is a simple bypass, 100% analog, so no extra latency when chaining the units (you could have 10 units if you'd like. ;))

So, I also discovered that the most real "in the room" sounding setup is to actually set one mic behind the cab...wow. :rock:

I am using Green Art Cab close U87 in front and M160N in the back. Just push the back microphone with 2-3db of mids to balance it...and damn, I am in heaven. :D

I will post some clips how crazy this thing sounds this way.

GtarLover":3pu2whaq said:
Sounds like a great idea...
Thanks for initiating a problem where there was none :LOL: :LOL:

:D

I know, should keep my mouth shut and stop reading forums...been saying that for last 20 years of playing. :doh:

Still sounds like a FABULOUS idea...getting the room mic is so obvious. When you said it, I thought to myself, DUH!!
I love the tones I can coax out of my LIVE. Guess I’m looking for the crazy deal on a 2nd now, LOL

Seriously, I appreciate the post and would definitely enjoy listening to some clips.

ROCK :rock:

After I got them all hooked up I thought about the room mic thing, here I have fully capable mic and room position simulation, well why not try and see what happens. And it turns out keeping one at the back is working best for me and just need to hook up my laptop to share some of the clips here.

The sound becomes alive in the headphones, and it just has this stereo spread you can't have with one Live unit. Yes you can add stereo reverb to one Live, which I did before, but it's just not the same, it is still one mono signal widened a bit. Now with two of them adding slight stereo reverb just makes it incredibly real sounding. Well, only way to explain is to record it I guess which I will do soon.

Now this I guess is important only for headphones playing, but it's 90% of my play time anyways so I finally have that sound I've been looking for forever.

Back