Two Notes Captor - solid state amps, no ohm switch

Juraj

I already posted this post in rig talk, but i might have missed the forum part so here goes:

Hi guys,
like in the title i have a question about the Captor and solid state amps that have only min ohmage written on the back.

A few days ago i got my Two Notes Captor 8 ohm, and so far i am using it with my Orange tiny terror into my interface, and i love the sound i am getting :LOL: :LOL: . All the cab sims are insane, and so is the software itself. I read the manual and the captor is all i have wanted and more for silent playing and recording, but there are still questions i did not get a definitive answer (possibly did not understand).

I also own a Fender FM 100H, a 100w solid state head and on the back it says 4 ohms min. 100 watts, and the manual says and i quote "When using the FM 100H to drive any other speaker enclosure, ensure that the speaker impedance is no less than 4 ohms and that the speaker is rated to handle a minimum of 100 watts."

So, can i use an amp that asks for a min ohmage of 4 ohms and 100 watts on my Captor that is rated for 8 ohms without a speaker cab (as a loadbox), to record and play with cab sims directly into an interface?

And my 2nd question is, can i use my 8 ohm head into the captor (8ohm) and connect a speaker of any impedance (4,8 or 16) to the ATT speaker out, or do i have to go the same ohmage or higher (in my case 8ohm or higher 16 ohm)?

Ty for the response, but i was hoping someone from Two Notes might give me that kind of answer, and more in a sense, did they test something like that.
I can see the manual has some answers, but still, would love to see a clear answer to possible problems with amps that have no ohm switch and should you get the Captor that matches the minimum amp ohm specs, or in my case should it even matter (solid state amps ofc)

Actualy, this is pretty much straightforward. An amp with a "4 ohms min" rating will gladly accept 4, 8 and 16 ohms loads. Or at least, should.

The higher the impedance, the sooner the amp will hit voltage saturation, and you don't want that, but this only comes into play at maximum volume, which is not really useful on a loadbox. Or, the lower the impedance, the higher the output power can be, but again, this doesn't make much sense on a loadbox.

Any sonic advantage should be extremely low, and highly dependant on the design of the amp, so if that's what you're worrying about, I suggest the amp's manufacturer will be more relevant to answer you. If he doesn't know about loadboxes, you can ask him about speaker cabinets, the answer will translate to loadboxes.

IMHO, the mains facts are : 8 ohms rating is fine for your amp, it is the most widly spread impedance out there so you are more likely to be able to use it on other amps, and you already own it. So, long story short : you can use it without worrying. You won't gain anything by changing it :)

Back