Torpedo Studio and Kemper

Ale10

Hi,

i am interested in the Torpedo Studio. Recently I've been experimenting with a torpedo captor, a 1 watt tube amp, mbox mini and Torpedo WOS. I also own a Kemper but the concept of playing 1 amp with some pedals seems more appealing to me. Now, I play only through headphones and the Kemper in this department is great: the sound is big, thick etc. I was wondering how the Torpedo Studio would work with headphones because I have played the software but the feel is not the same as the Kemper. I mean good but not that great. Regardless of the latency I get, the sound is kinda smaller then the Kemper. Is it because of the converters on the mbox? is the torpedo headphones out stereo? switching from the captor+ mbox mini to torpedo studio would it be a huge improvement in terms of sound/feel?

thanks

Hi Ale10,

have you tried to record your 1W amp and were you happy with the result? What amp is this?

Because if there is something to improve in your chain, even before the soundcard (not a big fan of maudio, to say the least), the amp is very import obviously.

Regard what sounds big or not, it's a very subjectif notion, and it's hard to give you the reicepe to achieve a big sound withing seconds.

A Torpedo Studio is stereo and helps a lot with that sensation when you play with headphones, using reverb and various effects helps a lot too.

no I didn't record the amp but, since I spend 90% of the time playing with HP and not recording, I am interested in the feel/sound while playing. I have the chance to buy the Torpedo studio at convenient conditions but I want to understand or have an idea of how big the difference would be switching from a cheap mbox to a torpedo studio. If I'm not wrong Torpedo studio should have built in reverb, right? anyway I plan to upgrade the amp (1 watt Marshall)

Ok. Since it's hard to imagine how big the benefit would be switching from mbox (converters) to torpedo studio, i have placed the order for a torpedo studio. I will let you know and eventually ask for advices as soon as i get it. thanks

I have read that torpedo studio uses non linear convolution while cab and live not. Can you please elaborate better? Are you referting to the overload parameter of the plug in Wos or there is something else?Thanks

It is indeed the overload parameter, that some other brand call something else. We do not use an algorithm but rather what was captured by playing test signals through the cabinets.

It requires a lot of CPU power, too much for CAB and Live. ;)

Back