Recording with Two Notes Le Preamp series

Oaklair

Hi everyone,

I'm a proud owner of a Two Notes Le Lead preamp, and until yesterday, my setup for recording was the following :

Guitar --> Le Lead (Balanced DI output) --> Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (Input 1 set to Instrument level) --> DAW (1 stereo track) --> WOS plugin

It sounds great, but i tried the following configuration :

Guitar --> Le Lead (Instrument output) --> Stereo effects pedal --> Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (Input 1 and 2 set to Instrument level) --> DAW (2 mono tracks, pan left & right) --> WOS plugin
and found that it sounds 'louder' or 'clearer' !!! The level of my effects was normal. By the way, i'm not a professional.

So, i like to know what's the best way for recording with Le Lead (or Le Clean, etc...), any discussion or suggestions welcome !

Thanks in advance.

just a thought, if you had the onboard speaker sim engaged and you also used WOSIII, the scenario you describe would occur so I'd check that first.

Thanks @sysexguy for your suggestion, but the onboard speaker sim is not enabled, i'll continue my investigation tonight :)

What happens when you listen to only one of the tracks in the second case when you go thorough the stereo effect?

Is it still better than in the first case?

What about you use the line out of Le Lead into you DAW instead of the XLR DI out, as a test?

Hi Guillaume,

To make a short story, if i'm using an XLR (M-F) cable from the DI output to the interface input (Focusrite Scarlet 2i4), the interface will automatically chose the Mic level input. But, if i'm using a TS cable from the line output of the Le Lead to the interface input, i have two options (Instrument or Line level). I guess that the Line level is the best choice for me ??? What are the advantages of using the DI output vs the regular line output ?

Thanks in advance !!!

The DI (balanced output) will let you drive longer lengths of cable without being too worried about added noise/interferences, and the possibility to use the onboard speaker sim.

In the context of a studio, with short cable length and using the WoS plugin, it doesn't really matter which output you use. Be sure to select Line and not Instrument level on your soundcard (you won't break anything in either case don't worry).

Back