Torpedo Captor 16 - which power supply?

mxw

Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question...

It says "9-24V DC, 5mA"... So which is best? 9V? or 24V? I mean, I have 9V adaptors lying around, but what's the benefit of using a higher voltage adaptor instead?

I'm just slowly setting it all up, my new Torpedo Captor into my new Steinberg UR22mkII etc etc... so I want a balanced XLR cable connecting the 2, and I want to try out the built-in cab sims too... so I need a power supply?

Thanks in advance! :yes:

Hi :)

It means you can use anything between 9V and 24V. A 9V PSU will work perfectly.

You don't need this external PSU if you use the 48V phantom power of a mic input on the sound interface.

Thanks!

Yes but what advantage if any to use 24V adsptir instead of just 9V?

Also, if using XLR DI out with analog cabsim, isn't externsl power supply needed? Or am I misreading the manual?

Short answer : you'll get no advantages.

In more details:
This is more for practical reasons: if you have a 12, 15 or 18V PSU lying around, you can use it :)

And, theorically, you'll get more headroom with a higher voltage power supply, but this may not be of much help, because of the limited headroom of the mic input you'll be plugging the Captor into, and the fact that you can set the level freely with the Level potentiometer.

If using the XLR DI output, you need a power supply, but it can be either external or phantom power.

Thanks very much, Basstyra! I appreciate that. This weekend is recording weekend, wish me luck.

Back