How to improve with mid/high gain tone with Torpedo Live

seb123

Hi everyone,

I've been playing around with my Torpedo Live to achieve a nice mid to high gain tone mainly for concerts, but also for studio recording.
A reference tone I'm trying to achieve is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FajweUesogc

My signal path is the following: Jackson Soloist with EMG 81 pickups ==> Brunetti XL R-EVO II Head (pre-amp + power amp) ==> Torpedo Line In ==> Mbox / Pro Tools

After testing the 2 below setups, I decided to go with setup 2:
1. Brunetti pre-amp output ==> Torpedo Line In (with Torpedo power amp emulation On)
2. Brunetti power-amp output ==> Torpedo Line In (with Torpedo power amp emulation Off)

Indeed setup 1 is sounding to bright/harsh which would be an issue both for home recording and for concerts, and my understanding is that most Torpedo Live users are going for setup 2.

I've attached a sample of the tone achieved with setup 1 and the following parameters:
- Cab = Jubil Green
- Mic = Condenser 87 (Center: 3%, Distance 3%)
- Power Amp = Off
- Reverb = Room A 10%)
- EQ = -1DB at 6kHz

Listening to the sample, I notice that there's some digital clipping ongoing. I will have to check which part of the signal chain is clipping (I'm pretty sure the input of the Torpedo wasn't clipping nor the Mbox/Pro Tools).

My questions:
- What is your opinion of the submitted tone? Does it sound good/decent, or does it sounds like s***?
- What could be improved and how?

Indeed it is difficult for me to judge since the different cabs and mics ibn the Torpedo provides a drastically different result.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Attachments

• 201804 - JubilGreen CND87 from Speaker output no PA model_1.R.mp3
    332.1 KB · Views: 78
Back