Torpedo Captor shrill/feedback issue when using pedals

riggs5893

Hi,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm playing through a Marshall Class 5 into my Torpedo Captor and into my laptop via an M-audio device (XLR into mic input) and then in to Logic Pro/Garageband. I've used both the WoS cabinets and the internal cab.

Using just the amp is fine. All input or outputs are not cooking and I get a really nice tone, however the moment I try and use a pedal in conjunction I get a horrible shrill/feedback sound. I've tried an original Marshall Guv'nor MK1, a TC Spark Booster and an Electro Harmonix Crayon 76. Each one does the same whether the volume or gain is high or low etc.

It is really ruining an otherwise great experience with the Captor. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

I have something similar on my Live. If I turn a certain way, I get a squeal. Not sure if it's related.

This is due to the fact that the speaker output of most amps is designed to be played on a speaker cabinet, with no earth connection whatsoever. The amp itself it connected to earth, but not its speaker output.

When using a loadbox, this output becomes connected to earth in some way. More or less directly, it all depends on the loadbox and what it is connected to. Most of the time everything goes fine, but sometimes issues like this can appear. This is pretty much unpredictable, it depends on the amp, the loadbox, everything that is connected to it, and the earth wiring of the building.

A solution that often works is to make the earth connections as short as possible, for example by connecting everything on the same wall outlet, through a power strip. From time to time, changing the power supply of pedals used in this configuration can also solve the issue.

Back