Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Nov 22, 2017 9:39am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 21, 2011 12:11am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

NEWS FROM NAMM 2011:

Torpedo PI-FREE : a free taste of the critically acclaimed Torpedo technology

http://www.two-notes.com/pi-free

The Torpedo PI-FREE is based on our flagship model, the PI-101, but only features 1 model of power amp simulation (EL34 / AB class), 1 speaker cab (based on a Marshall 4x12) and 1 type of microphone (based on a Shure SM57). And you still have the full Post FX section.

Of course, the PI-FREE plugin features the unique Torpedo algorithm, originally found on our critically acclaimed VB-101 unit, that allows you to virtually move the microphone in front of the speaker cabinet (as you would in a real recording room) and to simulate the sound of a hard driven speaker.

The Torpedo PI-FREE is FREE, does not require iLok and is not time limited.

Key features

Power amp simulation (EL34 / AB class)

Miking section : cab based on Marshall 4x12. Microphone based on Shure SM57
Advanced algorithm based on convolution processing

Post FX section to shape your sound, including : lo-cut, 5 band EQ, Exciter and compressor

Ultra low latency processing
Customize the GUI to show only the tools you use

Available plugin formats :
Mac : AU, VST and RTAS
Win : VST and RTAS

www.diffusion-audio.com (North American distributor for Bassics and Sandberg Guitars and Basses)

Last edited by sysexguy on Fri, Jan 21, 2011 10:04am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 21, 2011 2:55am 
Luxxtone

Got to try the VB-101 and it was infinitely better than any of the modelers I have tried. Was a great direct solution.

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 21, 2011 10:08am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Hi guys, the link above has been updated, Mac AU version now online and RTAS(PC/Mac) to follow

Please try this using a real tube front end, either a pre-amp, using a head either with an effect send to the soundcard or using the line out of your attenuator. Listen to the track when mixed with other instrument tracks and see how easy it is to mix, I think you be smiling!!!

Andy

www.diffusion-audio.com (North American distributor for Bassics and Sandberg Guitars and Basses)

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 21, 2011 10:36am 
Rock God

sysexguy wrote:
Hi guys, the link above has been updated, Mac AU version now online and RTAS(PC/Mac) to follow

Please try this using a real tube front end, either a pre-amp, using a head either with an effect send to the soundcard or using the line out of your attenuator. Listen to the track when mixed with other instrument tracks and see how easy it is to mix, I think you be smiling!!!

Andy
I'm going to take a look at this this weekend. So if using a line out from an attenuator you'd turn the power amp off in the sim and you do that with the power amp button at the top?

Also, can you load 3rd party impulses in? If so, does your other features still work with them?

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 21, 2011 10:49am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Hi Roque, yes if you are using a line out from an attenuator, you'd disactivate the power amp section in the plug in. Third party and user IR's can be added to the PI-101 full version. The free version has just the single 4x12, one mic and one power amp available but gives a great idea of what is possible. The full version also has many bass specific cabs and microphones

Andy

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 21, 2011 11:22am 
Rock God

Thanks Andy.

Just focusing on the cabinet/mic aspect of your plug-in, how does it compare to convolvers available? Feature wise and tone wise? I'm using the free Kefir now.

Let me get this straight, the full version can load 3rd party IRs, and your features (like distance, center, back/front, etc) will work or do you have to have specific IRs for those features?

And how taxing is it on the CPU when using all the features?

How much is the full version? I know the hardware piece is a pretty penny, but a lot of people seem to like it.

Looking forward to trying out the free version.

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 21, 2011 12:04pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Third party and user IR's are static ie the microphone placement can only be moved when the Two Notes cabinets (32 and counting) are used.

Full version PI-101 is $279.95/ 199Euroexvat available Feb 2011

The free version is available so you can compare the sonics and functionality for yourself. As far as CPU demands, the PI is designed for best sound and lowest latency vs. assuring the maximum user base can integrate the PI in their workflow.

Andy

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 23, 2011 8:01am 
Rock God

Wow, pretty nice. Do you have any examples of other speakers/mics to listen to?

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 23, 2011 9:49am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Check out the tracks here: http://soundcloud.com/two-notes/sets , scroll down a bit to Gundy Keller's files who's a German studio player and Roland clinician. The PI-101 full version has the same speakers and microphones as the rackmount VB-101.

Andy

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 13, 2011 6:16am 
Hack

Warm greetings.

Two Files from me with Torpedo Pi-Free without postprocessing, Equing, etc.

Marshall Plexi 1987 with DOD YJM-308, Marshall SE-100 as Load Box with uncompens. Line-Out (Lead-Guitar with Panning-Delay, R.gits rough and pur)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ZCVcABMiA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Soldano X-99 without any effects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RvxJr3H30I&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 13, 2011 4:06pm 
Luxxtone

Both of those sound bad ass. I just don't understand why people would drop $2k on an Axe Fx and not get the Torpedo instead. Very nice work my friend.

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 15, 2011 1:57pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Two Notes Torpedo PI-FREE v1.0.4 available !!!

What's new? Some bug corrections and a huge improvement in CPU usage.
We highly recommend our existing users to download and try the new version.
Visit www.two-notes.com/pi-free to get your free download

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 15, 2011 3:32pm 
Rock God

DrGiovanni wrote:
Warm greetings.

Two Files from me with Torpedo Pi-Free without postprocessing, Equing, etc.

Marshall Plexi 1987 with DOD YJM-308, Marshall SE-100 as Load Box with uncompens. Line-Out (Lead-Guitar with Panning-Delay, R.gits rough and pur)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ZCVcABMiA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Soldano X-99 without any effects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RvxJr3H30I&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Whoa! Nice! I need to listen to these on my home computer. They sound killer on my lap top here at work.

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 15, 2011 3:52pm 
Rock God Trainee

Shark Diver wrote:
Both of those sound bad ass. I just don't understand why people would drop $2k on an Axe Fx and not get the Torpedo instead. Very nice work my friend.

The Torpedo has amp emulations and effects? I thought the torpedo was basically a direct box/cab emulator.

Pete

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 15, 2011 4:03pm 
Luxxtone

stratotone wrote:
Shark Diver wrote:

The Torpedo has amp emulations and effects? I thought the torpedo was basically a direct box/cab emulator.

Pete

No it does not. But this slays the Axe Fx.

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 15, 2011 4:12pm 
Rock God Trainee

Shark Diver wrote:
stratotone wrote:
Shark Diver wrote:

Pete

Then the comparison is a little flawed, right?

"I don't see why you would drop $2k on a Les Paul and not buy a set of Motor City pickups instead."

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 15, 2011 4:37pm 
Rock God Trainee

very cool!! will definitely be checking this out as soon as I see the RTAS download.

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 15, 2011 4:49pm 
Luxxtone

stratotone wrote:
Shark Diver wrote:
stratotone wrote:
Shark Diver wrote:

Pete

Then the comparison is a little flawed, right?

"I don't see why you would drop $2k on a Les Paul and not buy a set of Motor City pickups instead."

Not really. If you are using the Axe as a direct recording device, which I was referring to, then to me, this sounds infinitely better. This is a free software. I didn't state it, but I was also referring to the 2 hardware units - which are in the same $ ballpark.

A set of pups and a guitar are not the same obviously. A direct recording media and device are. ;)

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 15, 2011 4:58pm 
Rock God

All it needs is a limited time special introductory price for the full version.

:)

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 17, 2011 4:33am 
Hack

Hi there,

I will produce some videos for Two Notes with the full version in the next 10 days.

I will use dif. seetings, amps, guitars, stompboxes, etc.

Kind Regards

G. (www.gamemusic.de/)

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 27, 2011 7:43am 
Rock God

DrGiovanni wrote:
Hi there,

I will produce some videos for Two Notes with the full version in the next 10 days.

I will use dif. seetings, amps, guitars, stompboxes, etc.

Kind Regards

G. (http://www.gamemusic.de/)
Any videos or sound clips with different speakers?

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 27, 2011 1:08pm 
Rock God

Shark Diver wrote:

My sentiments exactly. Most who buy the axe add it to or replace a stable full of tube amps.

I say keep your amps as they still currently sound better than the axe. I tried the torpedo at last years ny amp show, it kicks all kind of ass but it better at that price tag.

Great transactions with: Dexter Jackson, Pfapin05, Donbarzini, Ratter, Guitarslinger, Sixstring, Empire Prod, Motorpud, Iamthejoker,9841507,Ultron, Diagrammatiks, Juggernaut, studio289, Steve K., Dmtnt, Rhequiem, Craftm1, Red Witch, Reilly, Bucksears, ajr2454, Glip22, jabberwocker!, glassjaw7, Khoi, mizati20, ibanez4life SZ, Glide-on, Prime rib, Droptrd, Bwgintegra,Bognerluv,ben hur,TjSlice, Flizzo,Bronco, leib10, Vchizzle, Captain Stinko, Warhead78

WTF you reading this tiny shit for anyway?

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 27, 2011 1:24pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The speaker/mic combos in the full version PI-101 are the same as the hardware VB-101 so any of those demos would apply.

http://soundcloud.com/two-notes/sets scroll down to Gundy Keller's files for the widest variety of tones and playing styles, Tristan Klein also has some chops as does our man Kenny.

I like the youtube where Tristan records at 2 am (1:38am to be precise) (in French but you can get the idea)

scroll to 8:17 for performance

Andy

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 14, 2011 9:33am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Dear all, the PI-101is available (only the download version) from our website, with a 15-days trial. Let me help you if you have any question regarding the Two Notes products. ;)

Creating pro audio product for the guitar and bass players:
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook
Two Notes samples on Soundcloud

For the best support, please check the FAQ and create a ticket on the Two Notes Help Desk

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 01, 2011 3:05am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Dear all,

Quote:
I tried the torpedo at last years ny amp show, it kicks all kind of ass but it better at that price tag.

Just a FYI : we will be at the next NY Amp Show, and the price tag of the hardware units has been changed to match the US market.

By the way the PI-101 and PI-FREE are now in RTAS Format and recently updated, you may want to take a look at it. ;)

For the best support, please check the FAQ and create a ticket on the Two Notes Help Desk

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 01, 2011 3:50am 
Luxxtone

guillaume_pille wrote:
Dear all,

Quote:
I tried the torpedo at last years ny amp show, it kicks all kind of ass but it better at that price tag.

Just a FYI : we will be at the next NY Amp Show, and the price tag of the hardware units has been changed to match the US market.

By the way the PI-101 and PI-FREE are now in RTAS Format and recently updated, you may want to take a look at it. ;)

How $?

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 02, 2011 4:48pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

VB-101 and VM-202 are now $1995 ea. USA and Canada

PI-101 is $289.95 and the boxed version includes an iLokII worth $50

and PI-FREE is still free :D

Most importantly, the plug in versions now run with Pro Tools under RTAS and the latest VB-101 firmware features a complete rewrite of the load compensation function. We've been getting raves from everyone who's heard the new version.

We'll also be giving away a free PI-101 (full version with ilokII) as part of the NY Amp Show's door prize package, If you're attending, make sure you get your name in the hat :rock:

Andy

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 21, 2011 4:49am 
Immortal Rock God

Bump ....

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 21, 2011 10:41am 
Diezel Amplification

Will give the free version a try with my Black Tiger Pre . . .

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 22, 2011 4:24am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Dear all,
I was asked for some help on tweaking the Torpedo PI-FREE and the PI-101.

First, even if it may sound boring, take a look at the user manual (one for both versions) so you will find some explanations on the various parameters you can access with the plugins :

http://www.two-notes.com/downloads/EN_MANUAL_torpedo_PI101.pdf

Make sure you always have the last, up-to-date version of the plugin and the manual.

First, there are two possibilities with the PI-FREE/101 plugins : using it with a preamp or using it with an amp with a load box

Please take attention on the fact that the some guitar/bass preamplifiers doesn't have a real line out (in terms of level and/or impedance). especially when you use the the FX loop of your amp, you may find the sound to be compressed and noisy, this may come from the design of the FX loop.

Let's talk about the first option, using the plugins with a preamplifier.

1- Setup and monitor the gain and volume in every stage of your DAW to make sure the only saturation/distortion is coming either from your preamp or the distortion stages of the plugin, not from digital saturation.
2- On the input stage of the plugins, the best would be to stay around 0dB
3- The power amp section :

This section is not part of the Torpedo technology witch is used for the speaker and miking simulation. The power amp is based on component/circuit modelisation : we give the user 4 types of tubes and 2 topologies (Single Ended or Push-Pull) based on the state-of-the-art tube amp design. For some explanations, please go to this Randall Aiken page witch is a good summary of the two options : http://www.aikenamps.com/SingleEnded.htm

- The volume has to be seen as the master volume of your amp : the more you push it the more you will get distortion and sag, as well as tonal modification (more bass mainly, depending on the tube models).
- Put Depth and Presence at 100% and use those parameters as filtering. Presence has an effect on the counter-reaction of the modelised amp, Depth is basic filtering. Please remember that having a lot of low frequencies in a guitar sound makes it hard to mix with other instruments (bass and drums mainly).
- The pentode mode will give you more distortion and bite than Triode mode (depending on the tube model)

We designed this part to be more important in the overall tone than most of the power amps you may find on the market. This is a deliberate choice, we hope you will like it. ;)

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 22, 2011 4:41am 
Diezel Amplification

Thank you very much, Guillaume.

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 22, 2011 8:20pm 
Immortal Rock God

duesentrieb wrote:
Thank you very much, Guillaume.
+1... Yes thank you.

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 23, 2011 3:28am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I'm glad you like it guys. ;) I just remembered that a customer created a webpage where he describes his basic guitar recording setup :

http://www.chokhmah.com/guitar_recording_process/

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 23, 2011 3:41am 
Diezel Amplification

guillaume_pille wrote:
I'm glad you like it guys. ;) I just remembered that a customer created a webpage where he describes his basic guitar recording setup :

http://www.chokhmah.com/guitar_recording_process/

Thats helpful, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 23, 2011 11:38am 
Plank Cranker

I look forward to giving this a try again. I had it downloaded right after it came out, but then fiddle-fucked my computer and reformatted. FYI, Two Notes is very responsive for their customer service. Impressive, and if I dig the free version I won't hesitate to buy the full.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 30, 2011 10:19am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Quote:
Two Notes is very responsive for their customer service. Impressive, and if I dig the free version I won't hesitate to buy the full.

Thanks for the nice comment, we try to help our users as fast as we can. ;)

Right now there is a poll on the forum to decide if Two Notes deserves a special subforum, feel free to vote (YES !) here, so Rig Talk will become our official English speaking forum ;) :

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96891&p=1144939#p1144939

Last thing, one of our endorsed artist made a nice video showing how versatile a single amp can be, using the PI-101 and a Mesa Rectifier :

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 30, 2011 12:30pm 
Immortal Rock God

I voted .... bump.