The what cabs mics do you use thread....

Rogue

I tend to always go back to a Sm57. I forget which one it is, a something 160....I like using it on brighter cabs. Still, I'll go back to a 57 though. I suppose there is a reason they are an industry standard.

The cabs I resonate to are the Green Tri, the Brit Vint, and the Angl Vint. I tried to get into the Recto cab, but just couldn't. To trebly. The 160 mic helped it alot, but I don't know, I just couldn't get into it.

Hopefully some more greenback cabs and possibly a Scumback M75 cab is in the future.

What cab/mic combinations are other folks using?

Hi Rogue,

something 160 = Beyerdynamic M160N, a ribbon microphone. Very soft response, great to reach some vintage tones.

What cab/mic combinations are other folks using?

My favorite cab is the Brit Vint witch is my personal cab, a JCM900 Slash Signature cab with a 4X12 V30. depending on the style I record, I use a neuman U87 or a simple SM57, easy to mix.

For clean sounds I prefer the WattFan (Hiwat 2X12 Fane spkrs) with a condenser (Neuman or Blue).

Hopefully some more greenback cabs and possibly a Scumback M75 cab is in the future.

I'm working on it !

There's a fantastic book by Michael Stavrou ( renown mixing/engineer/producer and inventor of the smart console) http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/.

One chapter deals with identifying the "color" of each microphone one has and matching it with a complimentary source or instrument (also having a color). In his analogy, opposite attract. Using this technique with Torpedo is a fantastic approach in my opinion and basically what has been stated so far supports this concept.

The book, btw, while not cheap is a real eye (and ear) opener...in fact, I need to go and read it through again.... It is not a physics/math book nor is it a quick "platinum recordmaking for dummy in your bedroom, do this, then only that" book, but rather a series of challenges to convention that can help one improve as a recording engineer. It's not for everyone, hence used copies show up from time to time on gearslutz and tapeop forums.

Andy

guillaume_pille":1clfvtgn said:
My favorite cab is the Brit Vint witch is my personal cab, a JCM900 Slash Signature cab with a 4X12 V30. depending on the style I record, I use a neuman U87 or a simple SM57, easy to mix.
I like that cab. I don't get why it sounds so much different than the other V30 cabs though. The rest have this more modern kind of thing going on, but they don't have the warmth of the Brit Vint.

I use the Angl Vint for the more modern stuff.

guillaume_pille":1clfvtgn said:
I'm working on it !
:thumbsup:

sysexguy":1vgeq68z said:
There's a fantastic book by Michael Stavrou ( renown mixing/engineer/producer and inventor of the smart console) http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/.

One chapter deals with identifying the "color" of each microphone one has and matching it with a complimentary source or instrument (also having a color). In his analogy, opposite attract. Using this technique with Torpedo is a fantastic approach in my opinion and basically what has been stated so far supports this concept.

The book, btw, while not cheap is a real eye (and ear) opener...in fact, I need to go and read it through again.... It is not a physics/math book nor is it a quick "platinum recordmaking for dummy in your bedroom, do this, then only that" book, but rather a series of challenges to convention that can help one improve as a recording engineer. It's not for everyone, hence used copies show up from time to time on gearslutz and tapeop forums.

Andy
Thanks. I'll add it to the list of all the other books I want to read. :LOL: :LOL:

I use the Wattfan open with a JMI 15/4/ Reeves Custom 12 along with the Voice 30 and Voice 65. I also use the Vibro Utah and Silverjen with a Deluxe Reverb

My favourite combination is Matchless head + Wattfan open + 160 mic. Matchless is quite bright amp, while the combination of the cab and the 160 is dark... It's perfect, to my taste, when combined together. However, I bought the unit yesterday, so I haven't explore every possibility. Cheers.

I'm using the new WoS Full Version with a BadCat HotCat 30R head.

Here's a list of my fav cabs and how I use them:
--Angl Vint (Rock / Metal Rhythm)
--Brit Vint (Solo / Lead)
--Voice 65 (Cleans / Mild Crunch)

I run an R121 and SM57 combo on each with great results!!

I have just a question : those who use the WoS, did you find the presets useful ?

I plan to rework all the factory presets on the VB-101 and VM-202 on the WoS basis (actually a near to come Torpedo Remote will make all the presets compliant).

I have not tried the presets for the guitar. I just jumped right in and created my own.

However, I have tried the Bass presets and found them to be very good and useful.

I have not tried the presets for the guitar. I just jumped right in and created my own.

Actually that's what I do with any product I get to try, but most people need an introduction to the plugin possibilities, so I put some effort in giving useable presets. ;)

Back