Room reverb?

Rogue

Some room reverb would be sweet, but I understand that would come at a computational price. Is this something Two Notes might offer in the future as part of the software or perhaps a stand alone plug in?

Each speaker contains early reflection information depending on the micing position and the mic and cabinet used. This information enhances the realism when combined with your favorite high quality reverb processor. As most people have a selection of hardware and plug-in reverbs at their disposal, it is best to allocate the entire dsp of Torpedo to the primary task of speaker and micing emulation.

As a side note, an old producer/engineer trick used to gain variety and depth when using reverb processors during a mix is to add different external early reflection and/or pre-delays. When using Torpedo with a reverb, you get the same benefit.

Andy http://www.diffusion-audio.com

sysexguy":1j0oo5w7 said:
Each speaker contains early reflection information depending on the micing position and the mic and cabinet used. This information enhances the realism when combined with your favorite high quality reverb processor. As most people have a selection of hardware and plug-in reverbs at their disposal, it is best to allocate the entire dsp of Torpedo to the primary task of speaker and micing emulation.
Are the early reflections something you would hear? I don't think I get any sort of reverb from the PI-101 when I move the mic around. It sounds like what a mic and speaker would sound like, but without any room reflections.

Hi Rogue,

when you move the microphone away from the speaker, you hear a mix of the direct sound coming from the cab and the early reflexions of our studio. ;) The early reflexions starts a few milliseconds after the direct sound, we capture it with the cab and mike interaction.

guillaume_pille":1acmiboc said:
Hi Rogue,

when you move the microphone away from the speaker, you hear a mix of the direct sound coming from the cab and the early reflexions of our studio. ;) The early reflexions starts a few milliseconds after the direct sound, we capture it with the cab and mike interaction.
Would you be able to hear these reflections as a reverb like effect? Like a real world mic? Cause I don't think I hear what might be described as room reflections, or at least in the sense of "reverb", when I pull the mic away from the speaker. I hear a change in tone, but I don't get the sense of a cabinet in a room at all.

I own a Torpedo live and really dig it.
For recording Guitar it is perfect.

The last thing missing for me is a "room/reverb" effect included in the Torpedo live to make headphones late practicing session more enjoyable without needing to start the computer and load a reverb plugin.

Is there any hope to have this in a future release (no need for something super fancy, the simpler the better)?

Yes, a room or some kind of ambience effect would be nice to get some distance from the sound when using headphones on the standalone units.
Perhaps also mic/cab combinations that doesn't sound like a miked cab but more like it would sound to the ear when standing in front of a cab in a rehersal space.

Personally I disagree on adding Reverb. I think Two Notes should continue concentrating on what they are already doing. There are so many different flavors of Reverb its ridiculous. I guarantee that if Two Notes puts in Reverb, then someone will ask for a different type of Reverb. Then someone will ask for access to Reverb parameters, then they'll ask for FX such as chorus, flange, delay, etc.

Please do what you do best Guillaume and the Two Notes crew. It clearly works. There are a ton of choices for Reverb out there and many are free. Use them.

angry pepper":2vpzm2p4 said:
cycosuicide":2vpzm2p4 said:
Please do what you do best Guillaume and the Two Notes crew. It clearly works. There are a ton of choices for Reverb out there and many are free. Use them.

+1

This. Buy a reverb pedal if you need it or use plugins. Plenty of options out there and free ones as well. Let the TN crew stick to doing what they do so well...

cycosuicide":1iqf5564 said:
Personally I disagree on adding Reverb. I think Two Notes should continue concentrating on what they are already doing. There are so many different flavors of Reverb its ridiculous. I guarantee that if Two Notes puts in Reverb, then someone will ask for a different type of Reverb. Then someone will ask for access to Reverb parameters, then they'll ask for FX such as chorus, flange, delay, etc.

Old thread, but... +1

But if you have an amp connected to Torpedo Studio and want to practice using the headphone output there is no way to insert reverb or ambience...

slaktarn you are right, if your amp does not have an FX loop, you can't do that.

But as a matter of fact our products were conceived to work in a pro studio/ stage environment, where you have plenty of I/Os to put a reverb in the auxiliary, and nobody's using the headphones output of any rack. ^^

This said, I'm seriously considering an FX loop for the next generation of Torpedo products, as you are quite a few to ask for that.

Back