ENGL E-651 Artist Edition revealed

Hi there,

I gonna give you an exclusive sneak preview on a new amplifier we gonna release shortly... This is sooo cool, I'm really excited about this... This amp got a lot of history already, even though it isn't released yet!

ArtistEditionPreview_zps01bae136.jpeg

ArtistEditionPreview_angled_zpse3c9cf68.jpeg

As you all now we got a really huge artist rooster, with some of the best rock and metal guitarists around. Some are official endorsee, some are using our gear on tour or in the studio, but we aren't allowed to talk about it, as they got other official endorsements. And some very rare times we are fortunate to work with artists that we really admire for both, their playing and sense for tone.

Like in 2005 when we had the chance to work with a guitarist I'm not allowed to talk about, but believe me, he is one of the best, and known for his phenomenal sense of tone! He agreed on releasing a Signature amp. He wanted something real simple to use with the best tone possible and already had been in love with the E650 Blackmore. We modified this amp to his specifications. So ENGL designer Horst Langer converted the Blackmore to EL34, and did several tonal changes and a dozens of sending the amp around the globe between Germany and the US, this amp turn out to be one hell of a tonebeast with an outstanding touch sensitivity. But as things happens sometimes we couldn't work out a contract that both side would be happy with, so this signature amp never had been released.

Since then this amp found its way to several other artists, who picked it out of all the amps we are offering, because of its tone, feel and dynamics. Again some we can talk about, and some we aren't allowed to. To name a few: Paul Stanley, Ken Hammer, Jimmy Page, ..., ..., ... After we recently got one of these amps back from another big artist who used it in his studio from 2006 til he sadly passed away in february 2011, we decided to release a limited run of exactly this head.

So shortly you are able to give the ENGL "Artist Edition" a try at Musik Produktiv in Germany (http://www.musik-produktiv.de/engl-e-651-artist-edition-ltd.html) or selected Dealers in the US who will offer this Exclusiv Limited Run.

hmm... interesting ...
Shared EQ of Blackmore was always a deal-breaker for me because I use different settings for clean and distorted sound (that`s why I have Invader 100 and Savage SE now).

If this was tweaked to balance I would be tempted.

fappen":3r3w6830 said:
Gary Moore? That's my guess, even though you can't confirm. :thumbsup:

Killer player, phenomenal tone and sadly passed away in 2011. He was the first to come to my mind also. This amp sounds very interesting to say the least. Would love to try one if it makes it to the USA.

sinnersmoon":3ctno0i8 said:
Is there any difference between this Artist Edition and Blackmore Fast Hand Motion?

Same EL34 output section but different EQ and gain circuit to match the need and taste of the artist I'm not allowed to name...

I just picked up one of these. It came with an Blackmore manual. Is it safe to assume the Shape button performs the same function as Contour on the Blackmore? Thanks!

13_strigoi":1ngdp0bg said:
I just picked up one of these. It came with an Blackmore manual. Is it safe to assume the Shape button performs the same function as Contour on the Blackmore? Thanks!

How do you like it??

I actually played one at a local store, here in Michigan that got 5 of them. I immediately snagged one and put it on lay-away (I just got an amp, and my wife would kill me if I walked in with this one one month later ;) ) It's a very versatile amp, with a cool organic sound.

I've owned a Savage 100, Fireball 100; and spent some time playing through the Invader 150, Blackmore, Powerball I and II, Retrotube, Special Edition, Screamer, Ironball and this one is my favorite. I loved my Savage, but ended up getting rid of it because I wanted a more stripped down kind of amp, so I thought the Blackmore was a right choice, but after playing this I scooped it up right away. Please keep in mind that I've been favoring simplicity in my amps over the past few years. I like two channel amps (at most) but prefer to keep a single channel amp with maybe two masters. I don't want a lot of buttons and options that might fail in a live setting or something like that, especially since I'm not rich or famous, but that is just a personal preference.

I can very easily dial in my favorite sounds from the Savage, along with a great rock sound, metal sound, warm lead sound, soaring lead sound - I was quite impressed. It can do clean, edgy, dark, bright; the entire gamut. The clean channel is unique too, it doesn't seem to be associated with an EQ, just the volume knob, but it has that very cool pristine, "chimey" clean sound that Engls are known for.

I would definitely recommend this amp. Cost/benefit analysis is great on this one: Versatility with a great price point. Plus I think the cover is made with real leather, instead of tolex (I think). Thumbs up, Engl!

zewango":1d3swiwp said:
13_strigoi":1d3swiwp said:

How do you like it??

I'm liking it a lot so far. It's quite loud, I'm not how well it does bedroom volumes (I'm using it in a soundproofed basement) but I did a couple test tracks through my Two Notes and it sounds great. I've never owned a Blackmore to compare it to, but there's definitely no low end lacking with the EL34's, I actually have the bass down to 9 o'clock. Like J.S. I really like the simplicity of two channel amps, so this is definitely a great choice if you don't need the bells and whistles. I also have a Mark V:25 and it's a great little amp but takes hours to dial in. With this you can pretty much set everything to noon and you're done.

FWIW this is my favorite ENGL yet. Shame its such a limited edition model. I really enjoyed playing it whenever I walked in our amp room. It really doesn't sound like the Blackmore at all. Its its own thing. And yes, the above comment is true. Everything set to noon is golden.

Glad you all like the amp. Reactions are overwhelming so far and got we get a lot of requests.

Shape switch reacts like its brothers Contour switch, voiced differently though. Switch between traditional British Mids and scooped out Metal. Personally prefer the British setting, and that's the setting it was voiced for originally.

I like the overall tone of this amp. Do you have any metal clips of this? I found one on the internet, but would like to hear what this thing is capable of.

Back