Engl savage being discontinued for RnD for Savage 2! Finally

TheEnglAmpGuy

I spoke with a rep at namm about if they're going to eventually add midi to the very popular Savage and i was pleased to find out they might. This is all speculations as this is what i was told and i'm not sure if we will see that or not. I DO however want to see an update on that amp as it has been their longest running amplifier to exist in their amp line 20+ years in fact! I hope to see them implement midi and maybe more tweakable channels to boot! :thumbsup:

If the improvements made going from the Powerball 1 to Powerball 2 and the Fireball 60 to the Fireball 100 are any indication of how they'll take something good and make it better, the Savage 2 could be a real treat! I just hope we don't have to wait several more years, though I doubt a new version will be out before the end of 2018. Maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic. Still, it's exciting news!

I'm actually even more curious about the upcoming Savage 60, which was also mentioned this year on the NAMM.

(it's in German:

I have a Savage 60, which I love, but still, the amp could be improved in a few ways (which lead me originally to sell it and get an InVader 100... but 10 years later I got another Savage 60 back again ;-) :)
From Important (IMHO) to Less Important (IMHO:)
-make the gain boost footswitchable
-make the the FX-Loop footswitchable (something that's also not possible with the Savage 120 btw)
-add a noise gate
-make the MVB (Master Volume Boost) variable

Too bad there is not a isn't a depth pot! The depth boost knob on my savage SE was useless, as it added way too much bass. Without it engaged I found the amp to be too thin compared with other amps.

slash57X":3lifqfu1 said:
Too bad there is not a isn't a depth pot! The depth boost knob on my savage SE was useless, as it added way too much bass. Without it engaged I found the amp to be too thin compared with other amps.
It probably depends on several factors (pickups, guitar, cab, ...) but I don't find depth boost on my Savage SE useless. It adds rather low mids than bass. With LP it sounds thick and my ESP M-II sounds just right.

... though I would still prefer a proper depth pot.

slash57X":3nyvz7ev said:
This is also my finding on the (non Savage) SE.
I had to lower the bass knobs of the channels considerably to be able to use the Depth Boost knob. Otherwise, the jump in (sub)lows is just too much.
I'm avoiding the "Mega Low Punch", since it's adds lows in the preamp...resulting in more muddyness.

By the way, on a 2x12 cab, the Depth Boost from my Savage 60 is very welcome.
It seems Engl is still very vague about the Savage 60MKII. On their website it just looks like they've copied all the information from the Savage 120MKII, with only the poweramp info changed to 2xEL34.
If the new Savage 60 is a full-sized (71cm / 28" wide) head like the 120, color me no longer interested.
Keep it 60cm as the old one, or go smaller, to match the EVH 50W or Randall Thrasher 50.

Back